8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2014 6:17 AM by ashley.cotter

How to acknowledge Down Nodes

drbabbers

All,

We are currently using NPM and primarily we rely on the 'Down Nodes' function. What we would like to do is to be able to acknowledge a down node with a call reference number to:

A Highlight we are aware of the down node and it is being worked on

B To show the call reference number

Is this possible?

Thanks

Dean

• Re: How to acknowledge Down Nodes
          derik.pfeffer

Dean,

Yes, you can acknowledge and provide Notes to an Active Alert in the Alerts View.

Alerts.PNG

Alerts 2.PNG

Best Regards,

Derik Pfeffer

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services

drbabbers

Thank you for this information! This helps us out.

Can I confirm how you delete all the previous historic alerts? So we can wipe the slate clean as such.

Thanks

Dean

derik.pfeffer

Dean,

If it is on that view it is atill an active alert. I would acknowledge them and they will go away, unless you have the show acknowledged checked to the bottom right of the filters. Once an alert Clears it will remove these entries automatically. If you want to keep the details, I would recommend using a Custom Property field to store details.

Best Regards,

Derik Pfeffer

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services

jbiggley

I second derik.pfeffer's recommendation for using a custom property field on the node (or disk, interface etc.) for storing the details.  Alerts in the active alerts view are transient and, once the alert has been cleared by the alert reset conditions, whether the alert has been acknowledged or not, the alert is no longer visible in that view. 

How do you do your notifications of alerts?  If you use something like email you can send an alert trigger email with a link that allows you to acknowledge the alert with a single click (provided the system you are on has access to the Orion web console).  You simply need to send the variable ${AcknowledgeURL} in the email or other alert action for someone to click on.  Their credentials will be dropped into the Acknowledged By field as well.  Great for active alert management.

ashley.cotter

Hey Man,

I have two resources on the main NOC view in the following format,

I have one that is "Nodes Down (Unacknowledged)" and "Active Node Alerts" both are custom SQL resources and look like the following..

As you can see from the above if a node is down and unacknowledged it shows up in the above resource, but once that has been acknowledged it is removed from the above resource and you see in the second resource "NOTES" column that there is an INCIDENT reference from our incident management platform.

If you're intrerested in them here is the custom SQL for it that was written by some members of the community.

Node Down (Unacknowledged)

SELECT NodeName AS [Node Name],'/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-' + StatusIcon AS [_IconFor_Node Name],DetailsUrl AS [_LinkFor_Node Name]

FROM Orion.AlertStatus

INNER JOIN Orion.Nodes

on (Nodes.NodeID=AlertStatus.ActiveObject

and AlertStatus.ObjectType ='Node' and AlertStatus.Acknowledged ='0' and AlertStatus.State ='2')

Where Nodes.NodeID = ${NodeID} and Nodes.UnManaged = 0

Active Node Alerts

Select tolocal(AlertStatus.TriggerTimeStamp) as time, AlertStatus.ObjectName,  AlertStatus.Notes

From Orion.AlertStatus

WHERE 
                  (AlertStatus.ObjectType = 'Node' AND AlertStatus.State <> '1')

ORDER BY AlertStatus.TriggerTimeStamp DESC

I find that this is a nice immediate view of the down nodes that are on Solarwinds, by no stretch of the imagination would this work for every aspect of monitoring but it works very well with ADSL/LeasedLines that are monitored and have strict SLA's for being resolved.

I hope you can find a use for this as I have found it works really well.

All the best

1 of 1 people found this helpful