Taking just one of these packages (Adobe Reader 11.0.09.29), we have the following rules:
- Windows XP (x86) SP3
- Windows XP (x64) SP2
- Value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\AcroRd32.exe\Path + "AcroRdr32.exe" version less than 22.214.171.124
- Value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\AcroRd32.exe\Path + "AcroRdr32.exe" version less equal to 126.96.36.199
It's pretty straight-forward. What is the O/S of the machine in question? Does it already have Acrobat Reader on it? What's the version of the AcroRdr32.exe file in the installed directory? (Right-click and select properties, then go to the details tab)
Thank you for responding to my post.
I'm actually deploying ".msp" files not ".exe" for Adobe Acrobat and Reader so the options are slightly different. I'm running mostly Windows 7 Pro (32bit) workstations. All of the workstation have Adobe Reader installed and some have both Acrobat and Reader. Below is are snapshots of an updated workstation with both Acrobat and Reader.
Ah - so you are using the packages from the "Adobe Systems, Inc. Packages" Listing - is that correct?
Those are published by Adobe and we just ingest the catalog. The rules should still apply and the fact that you are getting an error specifying the package ID, leads me to believe that there might be something that got "crossed" during the publishing.
If you delete the content from the WSUS Server (Patch Manager \ Enterprise \ Update Services \ WSUS Server Name \ Updates - find the update and Delete it), and then republish with the last two checkboxes checked (Delete package if it exists and Re-download packages that have already been downloaded), do you get the same errors? (FYI - I'm going through this now on my testing systems since I used the SolarWinds Published updates [those under the Adobe Packages] heading at first).
I don't think that it's directly related, but Adobe is pretty specific about what prior versions are required when using the MSP Files. Update order for Acrobat (Adobe - Acrobat : For Windows) and update order for Acrobat Reader (Adobe - Adobe Reader : For Windows).
OK - using the Adobe packages, for Reader 11.0.09 (with MSP Fill Patch Code of 'ac76ba86-7ad7-0000-2550-7a8c40011009'), I don't show any prerequsite rules (the MSP already has it's own built in mechanism for detection).
I've installed Acrobat Reader on a test machine as version 11.0.0 and then published the above "Reader 11.0.09 Update" from the "Adobe Systems, Inc. Packages" folder and approved it. When I run the Windows Update on the test machine, it shows that the update for Adobe is necessary (Important).
On the test machine, I let the update run (which installed the newer version) and verified it via the Help, About screen. I had no issues.
It may be time to involve support if removing and re-adding the packages made no difference.
Thank you so much for your time. I just wanted to inform you that I was able to resolve the problem deploying the Adobe .msp package updates. Apparently there was something with the current packages for Adobe Acrobat 10.1.12 and 11.0.09. I declined, deleted and purged the Adobe Acrobat update packages I was trying to deploy from Package Manager and then ran the Patch Manager Update Configuration Wizard to re-download the deleted packages from the SolarWind. After I re-published and deployed the updates successfully.
That's excellent news! Thanks for taking the time with the back and forth to knock out all of the issues. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to post them to thwack!