This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How do I use NCM to transfer Cisco iOS images?

I have tried regular scripting through NCM, and it does not work with Cisco products. Does anyone have a baseline suggestion for how this is best accomplished?

• Hi there,

Have you confirmed whether there's enough free space on the ROM to upload the image?

• Yes. I am still building my reporting familiarity to be able to populate flash: or bootflash: space across the enterprise, but the scp transfer itself is not an issue. The scripting is not giving the device enough time to process the prior request. I would provide a screenshot, but this is on a government system. This set of commands:

copy scp: flash:

c3750e-ipbasek9-mz.150-2.SE6.bin

... are all appearing in the script prior to the connection to the scp: server is being made, causing confusion in which file is being specified.

• Go it.

I think it is best to create a support ticket. That way you can get some hands on or eyes on assistance.

• Turns out I need to create a single string in the scripting in order to overcome the delay issues. Who can provide a better example than the below for me?

copy scp://cmalott21@192.168.1.1/c3750e-ipbasek9-mz.150-2.SE6.bin flash:c3750e-ipbasek9-mz.150-2.SE6.bin

I need to get ride of two prompts. 1) I still get asked for the destination filename and 2) I still get asked for the username password.

Huge props if you know how to overcome this! My CCIE buddy could not!

Next step is to create a config change template for this format.

• This should work to get rid of the password prompt.

copy scp://cmalott21:PASSWORD@192.168.1.1/<IOS> flash:<IOS>

Just as an FYI - I just did this a bit ago on a couple hundred routers and noticed a few things.   First, FTP is the fastest protocol to upgrade with that I could find.  SCP was actually one of the slowest, pretty close to TFTP.   However, caveat on that, don't use Microsoft's FTP server, it times out trying to start things up and screws with whatever type of script you try and use without a ton of fudging.  I got it working, but moved to FileZilla FTP server and got things working much faster and smoother.

Once I got things running smoother, whether I did it via a config change template or a simple script didn't matter too much...

• I can't seem to get rid of the destination filename prompt. All it means is that I have to have another line in the script which restates the filename, but at least the password prompt is now gone. I'll have to load it into config change templates and see if it works there also.

I agree that FTP is faster, but when it comes to dealing with 3000+ entry inbound ACLs, the advantage of being able to use SCP over port 22 is well worth the extra transfer time. If you've got SHH, you've got a file sent every time on the first attempt. I also found that SCP bandwidth rates are much more stable than FTP when multiple sockets are opened. I'm not sure if that cost benefit is greater than the higher speed of FTP, but it closes the gap at least.

You're lucky you get to use FileZilla. We've been using PuttySCP and are trying to use SolarWinds SCP now that NCM is up and running for us.

Thanks for the reply!