This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Question on which products would work best for us

We have a fairly small environment which consists of 6 ESXi hosts, about 30 virtual machines, SAN storage and 3 physical servers.

Given the requirements below, which product(s) would be best for us?

What we need:

Monitoring of ESXi hosts primarily for up/down events or error/warning events.

Monitoring of our virtual machines: memory usage, disk utilization and up/down/reboot alerts

Nice to have but low priority:

ESXi memory usage, disk usage, cpu use (currently using vCenter)

SAN alerts/monitoring

Website monitoring (up/down) internally and externally facing sites

Performance monitoring for databases

Don't need:

network performance monitoring

firewall, switch, router monitoring

Thanks!

• jmmd,

These are my recommendations, as they are the enterprise-tier platforms that you can grow into over time. However, if you don't need something like these, you can also look at ipMonitor. ipMonitor is a great tool also, but is entry-level and limited in capability.

NPM - there's a virtualization component built into the NPM core that you need for the ESX monitoring. It's not as extensive as Virtualization Manager, but it gets the job done for most smaller (even mid-sized) shops.

SAM - for the web/app monitoring, server (VM and physical), and DB monitoring. Depending on your DB platform, you might have to build a custom SAM template; but there are canned templates for Oracle and SQL that you can model after.

How detailed do you need the SAN monitoring to be? Storage Manager is fairly pricing for what appears to be a small shop, but it depends on your needs. NPM and SAM can provide disk usage and disk I/O stats from the servers, so it might provide you what you need.

Again, these are my recommendations for any shop that is getting started.