This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Looking for query/report to show switchports that have not been used since <date>

All,

First of all, we are running Solarwinds version 11.0.1.  We have a security requirement in our group to periodically check on all our switches and turn off ports that have not been used for more than 3 months.

Currently the way it is being done is really silly.  Someone goes to each switch/port in the web console that is not shutdown and has no active connection, clicks on the port and looks at the history to see the last time data travelled across that port.  We have about 60 switches and most of them have 48 ports so this task ends up taking quite a while to do.

My question is, is there a simple way to build a report/sql query/etc. that will display all ports that are currently:

- not shut down

- doesn't currently have an active connection

- have had no data/utilization since <DATE>

Ideally it would show:

hostname, IP, port, description, date last used (when data actually was transmitted)

Thanks for you time!

• Even better would be if we could setup solarwinds to automatically turn off ports that have not been utilized in over 3 months, but just being able to pull up a report would be a great start.

• I believe this sql statement should pull the information that you want, any interfaces with 0 in and out packets in more than 3 months that are not unplugged (status 4) or shutdown (status 10)

SELECT DISTINCT n.Caption, i.InterfaceName FROM Interfaces AS i JOIN Nodes AS n ON i.NodeID = n.NodeID JOIN InterfaceTraffic_Daily AS it ON i.InterfaceID = it.InterfaceID WHERE (it.DateTime <= DATEADD(MONTH,-3,GETDATE())) AND ((i.Status != 4) OR (i.Status != 10)) AND ((it.In_TotalPkts = 0) AND (it.Out_TotalPkts = 0)) GROUP BY n.Caption, i.InterfaceName

-EDIT-

although i just realized that i missed the last line of your message about what you ideally would like to see but they could be added in in the select portion

• Have you considered UDT (User Device Tracker)? You can see a sample UDT report that is pretty close to what you are after

http://oriondemo.solarwinds.com/Orion/Report.aspx?Report=UDT_Unused_Ports&ReturnTo=aHR0cDovL29yaW9uZGVtby5zb2xhcndpbmRzL…

• Hello!  I'm interested in this type of report as well.  We have over 700 switches in our environment and that number will soon almost double.  Has there been any success on this front?

Thanks!

• As holyguacamole mentions, have you got UDT?

• Go get UDT then add this Custom Query to a node details page. This will provide details from the nodes,interfaces, and UDT ports tables for the node you are viewing but the last column is the date when traffic was last seen on that interface.

interfaces.png

SELECT

Interfaces.InterfaceName as InterfaceName

, Interfaces.detailsurl as [_LinkFor_InterfaceName]

, '/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-' + Interfaces.StatusIcon AS [_IconFor_InterfaceName]

, Interfaces.InterfaceAlias as Caption

, Interfaces.detailsurl as [_LinkFor_Caption]

, s1.ShortDescription AS [Admin Status]

, s2.ShortDescription AS [Operational Status]

, Interfaces.unpluggable  as [Unpluggable]

--, interfaces.customproperties.Alert_on_down

, NodePortInterfaceMap.VlanID

--, PortToEndpointCurrent.VlanID

, IPAddressCurrent.Endpoint.MACAddress

, IPAddressCurrent.IPAddress

, IPAddressCurrent.DNSNames.DNSName

, (SELECT TOP 1 InterfaceTraffic.DateTime AS [ColumnA] FROM Orion.NPM.InterfaceTraffic WHERE Interfaces.InterfaceID = InterfaceTraffic.InterfaceID AND InterfaceTraffic.TotalPackets <> 0 ORDER BY InterfaceTraffic.DateTime desc)  AS [Last Seen]

FROM Orion.NPM.Interfaces

LEFT OUTER JOIN Orion.StatusInfo s1 on Interfaces.AdminStatus = s1.StatusID

LEFT OUTER JOIN Orion.StatusInfo s2 on Interfaces.OperStatus = s2.StatusID

LEFT OUTER JOIN Orion.UDT.Port on Port.NodeID = Interfaces.NodeID AND Port.Name = Interfaces.InterfaceName

LEFT OUTER JOIN Orion.UDT.PortToEndpointCurrent on Port.PortID = PortToEndpointCurrent.PortID AND ConnectionType = 1

LEFT OUTER JOIN Orion.NodePortInterfaceMap on Interfaces.InterfaceIndex = NodePortInterfaceMap.IfIndex AND NodePortInterfaceMap.PortType = 1 AND NodePortInterfaceMap.NodeID = ${NodeID}

LEFT OUTER JOIN Orion.UDT.IPAddressCurrent on PortToEndpointCurrent.EndpointID = IPAddressCurrent.EndpointID

WHERE Interfaces.NodeID = ${NodeID}

ORDER BY Interfaces.Index

• You can have a similar report from Network Configuration Manager, menu Reports, view Report, Inventory, select Interfaces and then Modify Report and add fields like Admin & Operational status, Last Change, etc.