This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Storage Manager Install Location (Main Polling Engine?)

FormerMember
FormerMember

Where have most of you installed the Storage Manager Module?  Did you create a separate VM or standalone physical or install on your main Orion server?

Just trying to get a feel for where I should put it.

Thanks!

Todd

• Due to the memory that can be used by the Storage Manager app and the MySQL/MariaDB services we are housing ours in a separate server.  This way we can ensure no resource contention between software installs.  We are then using the integration install to get STM data into the Orion website.

• Honestly, it all depends on the number of elements monitored and the size of the environment in general.  But I agree with mharvey: separate your Storage Manager database server (the "Server") from the Proxy Agents when possible.  It's generally a best practice to separate the SQL Database (regardless of engine) from the systems actually doing a majority of the work.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Thanks for the insight. Our usual policy is to separate app from database. Any of you running it virtual?

• We are, and it's running fine.  However, trying to separate the STM app and it's database can be a bit of a task.  It's possible, but can lead to issues, especially when upgrading.  I haven't check the most recent docs, but I know previous upgrades required the database to be moved back to the app server before an upgrade took place.  One good practice with STM though is to have the main application and database on one server and another server as your Collector server.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Ahhh ok, will be just utilizing one virtual box then.  Appreciate it!

emoticons_happy.png

• Hi mharvey,

I know that this isn't the first time I've heard of customers doing this, but just to be clear - a separate STM DB is not a currently supported configuration. Furthermore, we cannot guarantee that this will continue to work in future releases.

• I know a separate STM DB isn't supported. I'm not recommending doing that, but you can install a second server as your collector server.  That, if I remember correctly, is supported.  That's why I mentioned it can lead to issues when trying to upgrade.  I've seen it myself, and seen the headaches it can have.  However, with that fact that most industry best practices are to separate an application from it's database to optimize performance of both, this is something that may want to be considered moving forward.  There seems to be a mix of software with SolarWinds that can and should be separated (SolarWinds Orion Suite) and that cannot and should not (VMan, STM, FSM) without a whole lot of reason as to why there's a difference in reasoning for the differing stances.