This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NCM changes less than desirable

I want the old NCM back please!!!  Not sure how thoroughly this was tested but its completely useless to me now.

• The integration of NPM with NCM is less than desirable. 
  • The ability to be able to right click on an NCM job and execute immediately was so useful before.  Now you have to create your job at least 15 minutes out and if you take to long creating your job and then hit back all the information is lost that you typed for node selection.
  • Where is my selection criteria with the keyword "contains"?  Now, its just and/or key word functions.  What if I have 200 nodes all with the keywords 65 as part as the model type and or the name.  However, the model doesn't start with 65 or end with 65 and could be all over the place.  I would like to select a node with a model type that contains the keyword 65.  This will help grab nodes such as 6509s, 6506s, 6500s in general.  Before I use to be able to create a job and select nodes that contain the keyword 65 and then immediately execute the job and be finished.
  • what about selecting nodes based on the criteria "does not contain".  You use to be able to do this and now you cant.

Not sure if others have the same complaints but I have all but stopped using this tool since the integration with NPM.

- MC

• Hi MC,

I'd be glad to discuss your feedback on NCM. Together we can go through the use cases that you believe are difficult to achieve now.

I'd like to address at least the concern with the selection criteria. Actually, you can use the "contains" criterion.

As you can see, my node names contain "lab" at different positions:

Lab-names.PNG

And I can select them for a job:

Lab-select.PNG

When you preview the result of dynamic selection, you get this:

Lab-show-nodes.PNG

And you can do "does not contain":

Lab-select-inverted.PNG

Regards,

Jiri

• Thanks Jiri for the information. However, what if you had wanted to select node criteria by certain attributes such as customer name = x along with node caption = x. You also wanted to do this for several devices.

I just figured out that if I wanted to select nodes based on node captions for several different types of devices I have to different selection criteria for each part even though its part of the same job. For example:

Selection criteria

Cutomer name = x

Node caption is labA

Or

Customer name = x

Node caption is lab

All of the above would be part the same job but I have to specify the customer name each time even though its part of the same job. This use to be nested. For example:

Selection criteria

Cutomer name = x

Node caption is labA

Or

Node caption is labB

Or

Node caption is labC

The above would be much more desired. Also having to schedule the job to run at least 15 minutes out is a real pain. Some jobs are easy to create while others will be very complicated on the selection criteria. We literally have thousands of nodes in monitoring.

Thanks,

Mark Combs

CCIE# 42519 (R&S)

Sentinel Technologies Inc.

Direct: 630-769-4349

Email: mcombs@sentinel.com<mailto:dshipman@sentinel.com>

24/7 Customer Service: 800-860-8102

• Mark,

One possibility to overcome the complexity of selection criteria is creating a standalone custom property with values that distinguish the sets of nodes for different jobs. Then, you can create conditions like

MyProperty is CustXlabA or MyProperty is CustXlabB.

I don't understand your system of selecting nodes for different jobs, so this might not be applicable; however, many customers use this system quite happily.

Regards,

Jiri

• Jiri,

Thanks and that’s what I actually already did to overcome the limited selection criteria built into SolarWinds. I had to create custom properties for each device type and then select on those custom properties.

My reason for all the selection criteria is based on customer type. For example, I may have one customer where all Cisco 6500s and Cisco 4500s are using one set of SNMP strings and passwords. And they this same customer might use a different set of passwords/stings on other sets of devices. They might call some devices “CORE” devices and some devices “NON-CORE”.

I guess the important part going forward is that I will have to have a custom property for every single device type. This way I can easily select the device according to the custom property and not the model number.

Thanks,

Mark Combs

CCIE# 42519 (R&S)

Sentinel Technologies Inc.

Direct: 630-769-4349

Email: mcombs@sentinel.com<mailto:dshipman@sentinel.com>

24/7 Customer Service: 800-860-8102

• I agree with Mark's comments on the new features of NCM,

Sure we can create 20 different custom properties, but we didn't have to do that with previous version...  

Mark,  pretty sure you figured it out by now, but you CAN run your jobs without waiting the 15 minutes....

simply chose your job and click the "enable" green check mark....  then chose your job again, and now "Start Job" is clickable

• Sorry this is an old thread, but I have to agree the new NCM changes aren't better.  The process to create a job isn't quick, and when you do a quick execute script you can't easily see all of the results.  I appreciate the workaround for the 15 min scheduling. 

I now have requests to uninstall the NCM 7.4 and go back to 7.3 so people can get their work done easily.

• Hi,

I'd like to discuss your concerns in detail. Let me contact you offline.

Jiri

• I too have major reservations about the "new" NCM.

Much preferred the Stand-alone application TBH...

• Hi,

I'd like to discuss your concerns in detail. Let me contact you offline.

Jiri

• That is a good workaround but the request is to put those in the drop down.