This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Interfaces not able to be monitored, but I see them in NCM and can snmpwalk for them...?

Hey all,

I'm running into a problem that I think is a bug, but I just wanted to get a second opinion before I recommend we ignore this problem until an upgrade is possible (to eventually fix this bug).

Basically we have a node that I added into NPM and we have been monitoring.  I noticed that one of the interfaces showed up with a greyed out icon with an unknown status.  After investigating further, it looks like this node is only monitoring ports 23 through 50.  I thought this odd, so I removed the node and tried to add it back in.  Same problem! I also was told in this process that a node with that ip address existed in the NCM... so down the rabbit hole I went.

In the NCM, the node still exists.  I tried to delete it, but I can't.  The funny thing is, NCM sees the other interfaces we want to monitor, but I can't add them as monitored.  I also see these interfaces when I snmpwalk the device.

Is there a workaround for this, or is it a noted bug? We are running the following software versions:

NPM: 10.7
NCM: 7.2.2

• The version you are on you need to Sync your NCM with NPM. This will bring the node back into NPM.

then Remove the node from NCM Management, then you can delete the node from NPM (or update credentials and rediscover).

* NPM 11 - I would say once synched, just do a rediscover of the node (after editing the snmp/polling info & credentials) - it will pickup the new model, serial, etc.

List Resources to pickup curernt interfaces at that point, and manage node, to delete the 'unknown' interfaces that are showing from the previous entity.

• Sync'ing the NCM and NPM databases won't cause any loss or outages, would it? I'm rather new to the platform and don't want to cause some sort of issue with our monitoring.

• If I remember correctly they are brought back without the custom properties information, and that for us made sure no alerts triggered.

But no, it should not cause any loss or outage. It simply puts the missing nodes (Nodes that remain in NCM but not NPM), back into NPM so you have the chance to appropriately manage/remove/change the setup.

• So we would have all the custom property field data wiped by performing a database sync? Or is that just the missing nodes?

• just for the nodes that are restored into NPM. My counterpart is telling me it brings them back with no group or custom data.. should keep it from alerting.

• Ok, going to take the dive into the deep end.  Thanks for the input!

• Looks like there were several NCM nodes that had been removed from our NPM previously that got re-added.  Unfortunately I can't remove anything from NCM, because it brings up an internet explorer page telling me it can't open an internal page, or the website is not available.

I'm going to assume that our system is just broken for the moment and needs to be rebuilt.  Thanks for the advice :-/

• Manage NCM Nodes Page not showing? Wow....

http://server-address/Orion/NCM/Admin/Nodes/NodeMapping.aspx   ?  - I am working with v11, so I am hoping this path is the same - you have access to NCM Management?

• I had been RDP'd into the actual server, and was using the NCM program to try to remove the node itself.  On the server, it opens up an internet explorer browser pointed to itself, probably to the same page you're referencing.

If I go to that address via https on my desktop and using our server's ip, it does bring up the NCM add/remove page.  Trying to remove the node in question from that page gives me a "Selected nodes already removed from NCM." but it clearly isn't when I check the actual server.  I'm not sure what to do at this point except recommend a software upgrade or rebuild.

• Use the NCM Web Console from your desktop or whatever PC/Workstation you normally use.

Our servers are not setup to use the web.. most of that stuff is blocked or just not setup.. that way we don't run the web entity from the same box, adding the user end load to the server already running the application.