12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2018 10:11 AM by st.crispan

Custom Poller Thresholds doesn't affect node status

bonag

Hi to all,

I created custom poller thresholds in web interface - Settings, but this doesn't affect the global status of the done to which the UnPD is assigned to.

I tried every condition: warning, critical, but nothing changes.

I tried different UnPD both text and numeric values, but seems that these thresholds are ignored..

Again, I cannot find how to put a single UnPD status in maps using Orion Network Atlas

I guess that I miss something..

Following my version:

Orion Platform 2014.2.0, SAM 6.1.1, QoE 1.0, NPM 11.0, IVIM 1.10.0 © 1995-2014 SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Any idea?

many thanks!

Gianluca

• Re: Custom Poller Thresholds doesn't affect node status
          automag928

I'm pretty sure this is not available, at least in my 10.7 version of NPM.  Not sure if it was updated in 11, but I'm guessing no.

bonag

Wow.. bad news..

So the only way to get advised is to create an advanced alert..

Thanks, Jay

HolyGuacamole

Working fine for me. Running v11, but I'm pretty sure it was possible in older versions too. some screenshots would help. I must clarify that you can drag the poller as a map object, but the undp threshold breach will not change the node status. If you want a single status, you can try create a group with the node and the custom poller in it.

bonag

Here is web output of my UnPD that monitor power supply status of Brocade switch:

..this is what I set the Custom pollers thresholds (for test purpose, I set to critical, when value is "normal":

I expect that Node Status will become Critical (red).. instead it remains UP (green).

Can you tell me if this is also your case and where and what do you configure?

thanks!

Gianluca

automag928

HolyGuacamole - for "the undp threshold breach will not change the node status" I think that is what the OP is trying to be accomplished, although I could be wrong.  Screenshots from @bonag would help to make sure we are understanding the ask.

automag928

wow!! perfect timing on the screenshots!  Again, I could be wrong, but you can generate alerts off of the UnDP but not change the node status in NPM.  I believe you can in SAM though.

• Re: Re: Custom Poller Thresholds doesn't affect node status
                                HolyGuacamole

Again, I cannot find how to put a single UnPD status in maps using Orion Network Atlas

So, i was trying to address this in the response. I tried it for UnDP scalar pollers (both text and numeric values) as well as for UnDP table pollers (tried for text) and the "thresholds" do impact the poller status in all cases.

UnDP-CustomPollerThreshold.png

Dragged the pollers into network atlas

UnDP-NetworkAtlas.png

and displayed it on web console

UnDP-NetworkAtlas-Web.png

you can click on the custom poller and it will take you to the node details view

UnDP-CustomPollerStatus.png

as you can see none of the volumes have the word blahblah in it, hence the status is Critical.

All this will *not* change the node status on the map.

However, if you were to create a group with the node and the custom poller as group members, the group status will be derived from the UnDP status

UnDP-NetworkAtlas-Web2.png

UnDP-GroupStatus.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                    bonag

I used group ad workaround!

So, thank you very much!

Anyway, in your Atlas screenshot I sse that you can drag on map a lot of node's properties (including Custom Pollers).. In my Atlas there are only Interfaces! Very strange! Again I miss something??

HolyGuacamole

Are you using network atlas on the npm server or on your desktop? If u r using NPM 10.6 or higher, you can include undp on a map. Open a support case to solve the mystery.

st.crispan

Can "Critical" ever be equated to "Down"?  I've been looking at the group workaround you suggested, adding both device, polled UDNP status and polled component status, but Group status never turns "Down", it only goes to "Critical"...and "Critical" can't be used to change the color of a line.

I can't change Atlas to see "Critical" as down.  I can't change the poller to equate "Critical" to "Down", so that Atlas can use it and change the line color.  Now I'm asking, can the status of a Group be changed to "Down", and if so, can a "Critical" status in a Group force the Group status to be "Down", instead of "Critical"?

If not, how do I use the "Administrative Status" feature within UDnP, so that it detects some statuses as good and others as down?  (1=good...2 or more, down)

If I could get that working, I could use it as a "Down" and turn the line RED...which is really what I'm after.

st.crispan

Now I've got a real puzzler.  I created the UDnP and added it to my Atlas map...but didn't get the results I anticipated.

First, the UDnP...the value continuously polled every 5 minutes is "2" - which means, the Operational Status "is or will become inactive." - Operationally down.  The Universal Device Poller Status displays it correctly, when I examine the node:

But when I put it on my Atlas page, it doesn't look as if it were down, and it really doesn't act as if it were down:

Where is the disconnect?

I also created the Group workaround you suggested above, but this (as I said) only presents "Critical" --which is not "Down".  (Yeah, I know, misspelled.)

And a "Critical" will not change a line color...but a Down will, if I can get it to display correctly.

st.crispan

To extend the original post ...

I want to take my custom polled value, set a threshold on it, and assign the result to a line in Atlas.  For instance, if I have two lines leaving a switch, and they are controlled administratively (link light never goes out on either leg), then I want to be able to poll the OID representing the status of each line, assign "CRITICAL" to the one which is down, and then map that CRITICAL Status to the line coming out of the switch on the device...and then turn that line RED based on the CRITICAL status of that link.

Right now, the only way that line would turn red is if that port was shut down - if the link light went out.  I want to control the color based on a polled value.