3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2014 11:29 AM by cahunt

Problem with NPM sending emails on alerts

olli.luotonen

Hi,

I've been trying to set up NPM to send out emails based on group status;

1) All group members are down = Sends out email "${GroupName} is down"

2) One or more group members are down = Sends out email "Problems in ${GroupName}"

But how do i accomplish this? I'm pretty new to NPM and i can't seem to get it working; I have tried modifying the original "Alert when group is down" and "Alert when group goes into warning or critical" and add send email function. When i test this, i allways get the first groups name returned in the test.

Any suggestions?

• Re: Problem with NPM sending emails on alerts
          HolyGuacamole

This will most likely require using an SQL macro in the trigger action. What types of objects are going in as group members? Just nodes?

As the others have suggested,

The default 'Alert me when a group goes down' and 'Alert me when a group goes into a warning or critical status' will suffice here.  If you have all members down, the group status will be down regardless of which group status you chose (Best, mixed mode, worst). The test function doesn't allow you to select a Group, it only allows you to select a node. That's probably why the Test isn't working as you expect but these are the alerts you need to use for sure.

techbender

What logic do you have configured in the trigger conditions? Also what status rollup mode did you select? I would try to break it up in to two alerts just to test each piece and make sure that they work independently. That might help identify what is causing the problem.

Capture.PNGrollup.png

cahunt

2 Alerts per group. One for the All Members down, and one for Less than all down (at least 1).

X # of Group x 2 Alerts Per Group = 2X Alerts.