11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2014 11:45 AM by Lawrence Garvin

Agent status "Not Applicable" when it should be "Needed"?

srhudson

Hello,

I'm trying to deploy the new Patch Manager Agent 2.0.2207.2 .

Console says "Not Applicable" for the machines approved for "Install" (my test group) under the WSUS server\Updates\Third Party Updates\Computers Summary

Also Update Details tab says Computers needed 66, installed 0 when I know for a fact at least a few are installed.
      However, when I switch to Agents\Approved I see a fairly large list of machines there.

I also notice that under Admin and Reporting\software publishing\solarwinds\ that the Solar Winds Patch Manager agent is listed as 2.0.2207.0 when it is actually deploying 2.0.207.2,

So I'm wondering if the console is just not reporting correctly somehow or if my Applicability Rules (default configuration) is not correct.

In my test on my machine, I removed the installed agent 2.0.2207.2 (which Patch manager said was not installed), and ran a wuauclt and the agent installed and populated as installed in the console.

I'm a little confused on all of these variables so any help would be appreciated.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Steve

• Re: Agent status "Not Applicable" when it should be "Needed"?
          Lawrence Garvin

Console says "Not Applicable" for the machines approved for "Install" (my test group) under the WSUS server\Updates\Third Party Updates\Computers Summary

Also Update Details tab says Computers needed 66, installed 0 when I know for a fact at least a few are installed.

The only way I'm aware that such an inconsistency could exist is if one of the displays is stale and needs to be refreshed.

I also notice that under Admin and Reporting\software publishing\solarwinds\ that the Solar Winds Patch Manager agent is listed as 2.0.2207.0 when it is actually deploying 2.0.207.2,

The correct build number is 2.0.2207.0. Can you provide a screenshot where it's displayed as 2.0.207.2?

srhudson

Lawrence,

I did miss a "2" in my version description. That was a typo, my apologies.

However there is a .2 at the end which is what I was referring to.Capture.JPG

Lawrence Garvin
                  However there is a .2 at the end which is what I was referring to.

Ahh, yes, that is actually correct. There were two Service Releases subsequent to the v2.0 Release.

The version number for the Agent is generated by the product based on the version of the product that is installed.

Since you actually have Patch Manager v2.0.2207.2 installed, that will be the actual version of the agent.

The missing trailing '2' in the package itself is likely because that string was hard-coded in the product for purposes of building the package.

I'll have to dig into that to be sure, but the difference is trivial and cosmetic in any case.

srhudson

Also if you notice in the windows behind, that console says, 1 installed, 0 errors, 507 needed.

If you look at this screenshot, you can see how many show as agents\approved.

I've refreshed everything I can find to refresh but still can't get the update pie chart to show the 20 I think the agents\approved showscapture2.JPG

Lawrence Garvin
                      If you look at this screenshot, you can see how many show as agents\approved.

Oh! I see what's happening here (pictures really are worth a thousand words!)

There seems to be some confusion between the "Approval" done in WSUS for the update package and "Approval" done in Patch Manager which allows a designated client to be agent enabled.

These two displays provide completely different information.

In the previous display where it says "1 installed, 0 errors, 507 needed", that's simply a statement of fact:

• You have one WSUS client with the agent actually installed.
                      • You have 507 WSUS clients where the WSUS package to deploy the agent could be installed if the update is actually approved IN WSUS.
                      • You have no failed installations.

The subnodes under the "Agents" node indicate the nodes that have been granted permission to actually use an installed agent -- which, btw, may or may not actually be WSUS clients. :-) (but usually are).

http://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/en/flarehelp/patchman/#SPMAG_Approving_Agents.htm

srhudson

OK, so now that we've worked that out  .

I have approved the Patch Manager agent to my IT workstations (WSUS) group (in the screenshot above).

I approved it in the Patch Manager console.

I have thus far not had to approve packages elsewhere in WSUS.

95% of these workstations report to a downstream WSUS server.

My workstation did get the agent, after the manual install was uninstalled to test it.

The remaining machines in that group either have not gotten it or are not reporting correctly that they did get it.

I've checked my upstream/downstream synchronization and everything appears OK

I must be missing something?...

Lawrence Garvin

The remaining machines in that group either have not gotten it or are not reporting correctly that they did get it.

I've checked my upstream/downstream synchronization and everything appears OK

Keep in mind the chronology and logistics of how an update gets to a client of a downstream server.

1. After publishing to the upstream server, the downstream server must synchronize. How often do your downstream servers sync? and When?

2. After the downstream server syncs, it must download the binaries from the upstream server. Using BITS. Possibly across the WAN.

3. After the downstream server has successfully downloaded the binaries from the upstream server, the update is "available" to the clients of that DSS.

4. Now the clients must execute a detection. How often do your clients execute detections? (The default is once every ~22 hours.)

5. Then the client must download the binary from the downstream server. Using BITS.

6. After the download is completed, the WUA schedules the update for installation at the next installation event.

It's not impossible that it could take up to two days for a client of a downstream server to detect, and begin downloading an update after publication and approval, and potentially as much as 72 hours before the client actually installs it.