8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2014 8:54 AM by alan.dunne

Patach Manager Database

alan.dunne

Hi

Is there a way within the patch manager application to purge old records in the database?

The database is full

• Re: Patach Manager Database
          Lawrence Garvin

There are several methods... depending on what you want to purge.

But if the database is full, purging is not the answer. While it may provide you some temporary respite, whatever is causing this issue will almost certainly return in very short order.

If the database is full because you're not using SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Edition (which has a 10GB database size limit), then the appropriate response is to upgrade your instance of SQL Server Express Edition. Older editions of SQL Server Express Edition had a 4GB cap. However, Patch Manager has shipped with SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Edition for a couple of years now, so unless you're server dates back to before v1.8, this is not likely the culprit.

If the database is full (of 10GB of data) and you are using SQL Server R2 Express Edition, then you may need to evaluate upgrading to Standard Edition and remove the database size caps.

Of course, it's also relevant as to why you have 10GB of data in the database, so before you commit to a database upgrade, we should evaluate whether this is an issue that can be remediated with some basic application management:

• How many Managed Computers do you have?
          • How many items in the Task History are there?
          • Do you perform Managed Computer Inventory tasks and, if so, do you collect any data other than what's in the default template?
          • Have you enabled the WSUS Extended Inventory option?
          • How many updates are in the WSUS repository?
          • How many WSUS servers are you managing?
          • Do you inventory ALL WSUS servers, or just the upstream server?

There are likely other questions of relevance as well, but those are the ones that come immediately to mind.

alan.dunne

Thanks for the reply

I have 2008 express database which only has a 4 gig limit.

I want to move the wsus and patch manager to a 2012 r2 server.

I have migrated the wsus server to 2012r2.

Is it possible to migrate the patch manager server or do I have to do a new install and if so will it work if I backup and restore the database to a 2008r2 sql and connect it to the new patch manager server.

I don't want to lose all my configuration.

Lawrence Garvin
                  I have 2008 express database which only has a 4 gig limit.

Ouch. So my first suggestion would be to do an IN-PLACE upgrade from SQL Server 2008 Express Edition to SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Edition, which will raise that database limit from 4GB to 10GB.

Is it possible to migrate the patch manager server or do I have to do a new install and if so will it work if I backup and restore the database to a 2008r2 sql and connect it to the new patch manager server.

It is not possible to migrate a Patch Manager Primary Application Server (PAS), and you cannot use a backup/restore of the database, you will need to install a fresh instance of Patch Manager. This limitation exists because the Patch Manager Primary Application Server is a Root Certificate Authority for the entire Patch Manager infrastructure, and restoring to another system would invalidate those certificates.

To create a new Patch Manager server on another system:

1. Deactivate your existing Patch Manager license via the Solarwinds Customer Portal
                  2. Install the NEW Patch Manager server on WS2012R2 (leave the existing Patch Manager server in service; it will continue to function in 30-day evaluation mode)
                  3. Once the NEW Patch Manager server is functioning (in 30-day eval mode), you can activate your license. (Note that you can take your time doing this because of the 30-day eval mode; the only thing you won't be able to do prior to activation is sync the 3rd party catalog, so save that for last. First focus on migrating any other customizations, PM computer groups, and scheduled task definitions to the new server. Also be sure to create a new WSUS cert and distribute it to all systems.)
                  4. Once the new server is activated, then you can sync the third party content, publish the updates you need (be sure to DELETE the older published updates from your WSUS server), and then decommission the old Patch Manager server.
                      alan.dunne

I'm confused, you've already migrated WSUS and you're still using SQL Server 2008 Express Edition on Windows Server 2012?

No sorry the new 2012r2 server where the new wsus install has sql 2008r2 express.

Thanks for your help.

I have stopped the service of patch manger (eminentware data grid server) on the 2008r2 box but now when I try to restart it I get an error id 1053 service did not start in a timely fashion

Lawrence Garvin

I'm confused, you've already migrated WSUS and you're still using SQL Server 2008 Express Edition on Windows Server 2012?

No sorry the new 2012r2 server where the new wsus install has sql 2008r2 express.

Yeah, I figured out my confusion, and then deleted that section of my response. Apparently not before you got a chance to see it and respond, though.

But that now brings up another question: Why did you choose to use SQL Server Express Edition for WSUS instead of the built-in (and recommended) Windows Internal Database?

I have stopped the service of patch manger (eminentware data grid server) on the 2008r2 box but now when I try to restart it I get an error id 1053 service did not start in a timely fashion

If the database is full, which means the database service may not be running, may not be able to start even, this would be an expected result.

alan.dunne

I have finally installed a new instance of patch manager with sql 2008r2 express with my custom packages recreated (not as bad as I thought it would be).

wsus is installed with its internal database, sorry if I confused you.

Going forward is there anything a can do from patch manager in the way of maintenance to keep the database as small as possible?

I also have another questions about 3rd party updates. If I just approve the update, will the update download itself like a wsus update or do I always have to set a task to download it to the clients?