6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2014 1:37 PM by lfransen

Why Per Seat Licensing?

lfransen

Ok, so I am a big fan of SW REAL products. I currently have NPM, SAM, NTA, IPAM, and WPM running in my environment all with unlimited licensing. I monitor a global environment with close to 10K network elements and over 10K of HW Health Monitors\sensors. Long have I pondered the value of the Engineers Toolkit and felt that the few times I could have used it would have provided some value.

With my recent purchase of WPM and an additional polling engine I slipped in a purchase of the ET thinking it would be nice to have. That is when I find out it is a per seat license. Don't even get me started on the fact that selecting different licenses isn't even an option on the portal. I have about 10 people that could use this from time to time and the thought of paying over $13K for this simple tool blows my mind away. And no, I am not going to spend my time moving licenses around to different users based on need. That's just insane. Plus the cost of maintenance?

I understand the need to make money where you can, but the value just isn't there. I am not even sure the $1300 price tag is worth it for one license. Here's a thought, give the thing away with anyone who purchases NPM. If you want it stand-alone then charge $1300 for it, but quit nickel and diming your real customers.

Sorry for the vent but this just took me over the edge. Not sure what other people think but I cannot be the only one that feels this way. Based on pricing and licensing alone I can never recommend this tool to anyone.

Len

• Re: Why Per Seat Licensing?
          cahunt

Install the seat on a server that users can log into and run it from there... unless that is a violation of the EULA.

Other than that, I would like the idea of license block sets of 10-25 at a time or a tiered option less than 5, 6-10, 11-20,  unlimited   (and possibly a network license pool option.. in a way that would not tax the server it was added to)

peter.ksenzsigh

Hi Len,

I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment with ETS licensing model. As was explained in another thwack thread, we decided for this model to not confuse existing ETS customers with 2 types of licensing applied for one product - per seat desktop and multiuser Orion... On the other hand, this caused a bit of frustration on a side of Orion users used to unlimited access restrications.

When you mentioned some cases when you would find ETS handy - did you mean classic desktop ETS or new Webtoolset? If web, would the Toolset on a Web purchasable also as a standalone product be acceptable for you? ( of course, I speak about a future with more than just current 5 tools ported to a web).

Peter

ps: We are internally discussing the possible approaches to this situation and every comment/reaction like yours is helpful. Thanks!

lfransen

Well there are two issues. The first is that we were planning on using this as a multi-user Orion setup. No real need to have it installed on everyone's desktop. I like the ability to quickly open a tool right through NPM and use it when needed. That being said, the fact that you can't use all the tools without using it from the desktop side kind of sucks. You advertise 60 tools or so, but only five show up through NPM. This makes the $$$ value even less.

If I had my druthers, core tools of this toolset would be integrated and INCLUDED as part of NPM. Of course I feel the same way about NTM. I think these are just ways of nickle and diming customers. NTM should replace Network Atlas. If you have to raise the price a few bucks to cover it I think most people wouldn't care. Another selling option would be to include it free with the purchase of a minimum number of licenses.

If the Toolset on the Web can be integrated within NPM and installed on the server that would be preferable. I'd gladly exchange my ETS purchase for something else since this current license scheme is useless. On a last point may I suggest you guys clear up the website for purchasing these tools. Every other core product allows you to select a license size so it's pretty clear there are multiple license schemes. ETS only gives you one option so why would anybody think there are other choices.

peter.ksenzsigh

In regards to the 1st paragraph: Did you try the right-click integration allowing to call also desktop tools from certain places in NPM? If you would install the desktop toolset on your server and have the users RDP to it, they will be able to run also desktop tools from Orion console... one at the time of course, unless you have citrix...

2#: Not everyone needs advanced mapping functions or toolset (one size never fits all...) . Hence, we allow separate purchases/combinations.

3#: You actually can install the Toolset on the Web on the same server as Orion. One workaround for you might be to create additional Orion user, assign him Webtoolset access and have the credentials shared with the colleagues possibly interested in real-time monitoring on a Web.

I will ask the website team to update our SWI pages to be more self-explanatory about the per seat licensing in case of a Toolset..Thanks for pointing out!

Let me please know if having problems to setup any of recommendations from above and we can have a call.

Peter

lfransen

Thanks for the reply.

As to user accounts, we use all AD integrated accounts so having local accounts that people would sign in and out of to use these tools doesn't make any sense to us. As to #2 that's why I suggested that maybe it be included with the higher licensed systems. I agree that somebody who has only a couple of licenses wouldn't need this, but I use Unlimited licenses for my products and have maps for about 70 offices and this would be a nice to have (again providing any user could use it and NOT per seat).

For #3, yes, we installed it on the web.