This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

java.lang.NullPointerException error when creating custom fields

When entering custom fields I often receive java.lang.NullPointerException errors especially if I choose to associate the field with request types. I can ignore the error and continue normally, but any changes I make to the system (or at least to custom fields) from that point forward only last until I logout. This occurs every time I attempt to associate the field with a request type. However, if I opt not to associate the field with a request type, it still occurs with about every third or forth field created.

Any advice on how to correct this error would be appreciated.

• Can't offer much help except to say "me too".  I've noticed that behaviour as well.  When I was setting up a lot of custom fields, I created them and didn't associate types.  When I received the error, I would restart WHD and keep going from there.  Once all the fields were created, I would then begin associating them to all the request types and restart WHD when this failed too.

I know that is a pain, but since then I haven't actually set up any new fields, so it usually only happens in batches.

Hopefully someone here has a solution.

• I'm receiving this error as well when creating a custom field and enter text into the Options section.

• HotFix 2 is out on the customer portal.  This HotFix addresses the null pointer exception error when creating custom fields.