7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2014 4:48 AM by jodo

Pushing German Firefox

jodo

Hello,

We are having some issues pushing out the German upgrade version of Mozilla Firefox to our German offices. I could only find the en-us version in the Mozilla packages you are offering so i created a duplicate of the latest "Mozilla Firefox 31.0 (Upgrade)" and did the following:

changed Package Title to Mozilla Firefox 31.0 (Upgrade) German

changed Prerequisite Rule to: Windows Language Language=German

changed Download URL to German Firefox installer location

changed Binary Language from English to German

However after the update has been pushed to the machines the en-us version is installed. I tried to upgrade Firefox manually with the same file Solarwinds is using and it upgraded it to the German version as expected. So my suspicion is that there are some Solarwinds settings I am neglecting somewhere.

Is that an known issue, and could you kindly advise if so?

Many Thanks

• Re: Pushing German Firefox
          Lawrence Garvin

Did you actually download the German-language binary and import it into the package before publishing?

Sounds like you published the package with the English-language binary.

jodo

Hi Lawrence,

I indeed downloaded the German installer file and did import it to the package. When I run the same installer I imported on one of the PCs manually it installs the German version.

Lawrence Garvin

Okay... so I must admit, I'm a bit baffled. What you are describing is functionally impossible. The clients cannot get the en-US binary if it's not been published.

changed Download URL to German Firefox installer location

This step may be problematic. In fact, after downloading the German binary, you should have selected the option "I already have the content..." and configured that option.

When you published your modified (German-language) package, did it download the German-language binary prior to publishing it to the WSUS server?

jodo

In fact I have  tried it both ways. Once by downloading the binaries and once by pointing the package to the URL to the German binaries. Either way en-us got installed.

Yes, it did download the German-language binary prior to publishing it to the WSUS server

I also checked the .cab file associated with the package and double checked that it’s the German installation file. Again when I copy that installer file from the cab file and run it on one of the PCs it works fine but when its being pushed via SolarWinds it installs the en-us version.

But I understand your confusion – maybe I’m missing a step somewhere along the line? Could you kindly point out the steps involved in creating a custom package for Mozilla Firefox in German? So I can be sure I didn’t miss anything

Thanks

Nick

Lawrence Garvin
                          Could you kindly point out the steps involved in creating a custom package for Mozilla Firefox in German?

Your steps are functionally correct; this is why I'm so confused.

Let me ponder this a bit and seek input from some colleagues.

I'll try to post back here before the end of your workday.

Lawrence Garvin

My apologies for not getting back in the timeframe I had anticipated.

I pondered this most of the day and had a couple of conversations with colleagues.
                              I also walked through the process to see what additional considerations might have been relevant.

In the end, they all led to one basic conclusion: Somehow the en-US binary got delivered to the client with the package.

There are a couple of ways this could happen:

• The typical way is that an en-US package gets published, and then the en-US package is revised. A revision, however, does not change the binaries.
                              • The other way this can happen is if the en-US package is duplicated after the en-US binaries have been downloaded. In this instance, the downloaded en-US binary gets duplicated with the new package, and even though the new package is configured to point to the German language binary, the package "knows" that it already has the binary file, so the en-US binary does not get replaced, resulting in the publication of the en-US binary with the now-modified German-language package definitions.

So, I believe the best approach is the following:

1. Delete any existing Firefox v31 (Upgrade) packages that have been published to the WSUS server.
                              2. Delete any duplicated Firefox v31 (Upgrade) packages in the Patch Manager reposistory.
                              3. Right click on the stock Firefox v31 (Upgrade) package and select "Delete Content", which will remove the en-US binary originally downloaded for that package that is stored on the Patch Manager server.
                              4. Duplicate the Firefox v31 (Upgrade) package, and then make the following changes:
                              5. On Screen #1, update the Support URL and More Info URL to point to the German-language packages for this release (if desired; not required).
                              6. On Screen #2, change the Windows Language to "German".
                              7. On Screen #3, select the option "I already have the content for the package..."; use the dialog to navigate to the local copy of the German-language installer to set the "Package" field; At this point, the Wizard will COPY that file from the local location into the package cache folder. Then set the "Download URL" to the public URLof the German-language file at mozilla.net and set the Binary Language to German.
                              8. Save and publish the package.