This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Connecting NTA to NPM

I have a quick question,I  recently installed Solarwinds NPM , during the installation there is no point that I was prompted for a database username/password(So I assume it used the deafults). Problem is Solar winds recommends installation of NTA on a different server, which I have been attempting to do without success, reason why it is failing is because it needs username and password for of the solawinds NPM Database. I found a suggestion online to check the file SWNetPerfMon.db file, but the password there seems to be encrypted. Anyone had this problem before? Or any suggestions ?

• Is this an eval that you installed?  For NTA, you should only install the database on a separate server, the software should be on the same server as NPM.  They are bound license wise, so they have to reside on the same server.

• Thanks Harvey, the two products are both licenced and posses two different licences. I am trying to install the NTA Flow database on server A while I have the NPM on server B. But at the second stage of installing NTA Storage DB on server A, the installer is prompting for Orion DB Server /Orion DB Username /Orion DB Password / Orion DB Name . I have tried a few crednetials but it keeps coming back with a failure. Note that I have opened port 1433 for SQL on server B firewall and even attempted connection with Server B Firewall off. No luck.

• When you ran the configuration wizard for the NPM install, it should have asked you to specify the database server, username, and password for the NPM install.  Did you have to put in any credentials there?  What happens if you re-run the configuration wizard?

• Thanks Harvey, During installation of NPM, I was not prompted to enter any credentials, it must have installed a preset DB with default credentials, but I have been unable to get these default credentials. I have not tried to rerun the wizard since the NPM is live and I am not sure if running the wizard might interfere with the running instance. Btw, it is version 11 and I had it running on eval mode for about a week before I installed the licence, if that helps. Thanks.

• Being in eval mode, more than likely the system installed SQL Express and put in it's own credentials. If you had a SQL database setup for this, then you will want to rerun the wizard in order to move the database location to that SQL server.  The problem you are going to run into is if the username/password are encrypted in the SWNetPefMon.db file when opened as a text file, then there may be no way to recover it outside of contacting SolarWinds directly.