This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How do you organize monitoring profiles and correlate them to application templates? (Sorry, PM question warning!)

So we are working on implementing Solarwinds monitoring.  The first thing on the agenda is developing "monitoring profiles", or documents that define how we monitor different types of things.  These are, by necessity, divergent.  For instance, you may have a profile for "Windows 2008 Servers" which monitors x, y and z with thresholds 1, 2 and 3.  But you may also have "SQL Servers" which monitors a, b and c with thresholds 4, 5 and 6.  Without knowing anything about Solarwinds, I see two logical ways to organize this.  First, you could simply "apply" both profiles to a server.  The second way would be to create 3 profiles: "WIndows 2008 Servers", "SQL Servers" and "Windows 2008 SQL Servers".  Both present problems, especially when you start getting into overlapping counters and conflicting thresholds, but I'm wondering what everyone else is doing and what works best when translating these to Application Templates within Solarwinds.

I appreciate any input or links to videos on the subject.  If this doesn't make any sense to you, please let me know so I can try to explain further!

• Here is a related, but slightly more direct question:

If I have two Application Templates, let's say "Washington" and "Lincoln", both monitor C: drive capacity.  One alarms at 80% and one alarms at 90%.  If I apply both to a server, what will happen?  Will it just fire both of them no matter what?  Is there any type of inheritance or collision/overlap detection?

• Each application template applied to a node operates independently from the other. In your example above you would receive an alert for one once the 80% threshold was exceeded, and another when the 90% threshold was exceeded.

As for template philosophy I generally like to maintain a single template for the application that will be monitored. So in your example above I would have one template that monitors the base Windows Operating System, and another for monitoring MSSQL Server. I then layer the templates on to provide the monitoring required, ensuring that there is near zero overlap from what's being monitored in each application template.