This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

No mail stats in AppInsight for Exchange

I've recently setup AppInsight for Exchange on our Exchange 2010 DAG mailbox servers. The configuration of the servers went fine, and almost all of the advanced stats are coming through ok, except for one feature. I'm not seeing any sent/received mail stats for the mailboxes. The 'Users by Messages Sent' also shows 0 for 'Sent Last 7' and 'Sent last 30' days, while 'Sent Yesterday' shows N/A. I expected there to be a delay in this information coming through, but it's been three days now, and nothing.

Drilling into a username just shows 'Data not available' for 'Sent Mail' and 'Received Mail'.

As I said, all other stats look fine, it's just this one thing. Anyone got any ideas?

• It's likely data collection is not completing in a timely fashion. I recommend completing the steps outlined on the KB article below on all Exchange Mailbox Servers monitored by AppInsight for Exchange. You may need to wait up to 24 hours before determining if this fixed the issue, as user mailbox statistics are collected only once per-day.

• Thanks for the suggestion. I've had a look at these settings on the DAG mailbox servers, which are as follows;

Winrs

AllowRemoteShellAccess = true

IdleTimeout = 180000

MaxConcurrentUsers = 25

MaxShellRunTime = 2147483647

MaxProcessesPerShell = 15

MaxMemoryPerShellMB = 512

MaxShellsPerUser = 25

I've not changed anything, as these settings appear to be ok (and were probably set when I 'configured' the servers during the AppInsight setup)

• Maybe to elaborate here. I might have found something, but need it confirmed.

If I drill down into <mailbox server> / AppInsight for Exchange / Microsoft Exchange / Database Copies, when I click on one of the DB's and go into the details of this, under Database Details / Component Name (where it shows the database name), there's a red warning showing;

PowerShell script error. Failed to connect to the RPC server on computer "<exchange3.mydomain.com>". Verify that a valid computer name was used.

Obviously I've replaced the server and domain name, but essentilly 'exchange3' is in the same site, but not accessible via RPC (only SMTP). Could this be causing the mailbox stats to fail? It's not managed in NPM, so is essentially unknown. I actually don't want to include this server anyway, just the DAG that is accessible. Can I exclude 'exchange3', or do all servers in the site have to work via RPC?

• That is most certainly the root cause of the problem. That node does not necessarily need to be managed but it should be accessible via RPC to collect the necessary information about the mailbox statistics. This information is only available from the Hub Transport server.