12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2014 9:43 AM by javan

NPM virtualization

javan

Kindly advice if solarwinds NPM can be installed on the Virtual platform and function effectively.

• Re: NPM virtualization
          martinstenner

We run NPM, NTA and NCM together on a Hyper-V platform.

I believe the product implementation guides have advice on system requirements.

I would say that it's worth designating an independent network adapter to the VM however.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              jeffnorton

A very large implementation of NPM will work on a virtual platform but not well.  A large amount of devices and interfaces polled will eat up the interface resources causing issues with other virtual servers on the platform.  As mentioned earlier, check Solarwinds system requirements

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              javan

Thanks Martin & Jeff for your response, Is it advisable to run both NPM and NTA on a Virtual platform for a network with more than 3200 nodes (Wireless and Fiber Switches). I am currently running both on a StandaloneServer (ProLiant DL380 G7), 8 core logical processor and 8 GB Memory.

martinstenner

I would suggest you're better off keeping it physical. That is a considerably larger deployment than ours.

I suppose you could consider upping the RAM though?

jeffnorton

Just a reminder on that, there are Windows version restrictions, for example Windows Server 2012 Foundation and Workgroup will only 32g regardless of how much are in the slots.  Jumping to Windows Server 2012 Essentials (2008, 2010 Enterprise) jumps up to 64 g but there is fairly large price jump.  It get’s even trickier on the Database server.  There you have to deal with both how much memory the OS will use as well as MSSQL.

clubjuggle

Our installation covers 2,900 nodes and does not include Netflow (but does include SAM). I don't know how resource-intensive Netflow is as compared to SAM, but that should give you some idea for size comparison. Again, our polling cycles are longer than the defaults. I've attached a screen shot for reference.

polling-settings.png

jeffnorton

So just counting the nodes is not enough.  Look at the total resources per poller (nodes and interfaces).  For instance if you have 3200 nodes with just 1 interface on each you have 6400 resources.  The standard answer from Solarwinds is about 10k resources per poller.  NTA is a different animal.  There is no polling taking place for netflow from Orion.  Orion just listens on the port assigned and then funnels it to the database.  So while you may have significant interface capacity taken up with netflow, there is not much horsepower used on the poller you have it on but there is on the database sever

clubjuggle

It depends on the size of your installation. Right now we run NPM, NCM and SAM, additional polling engines and the SQL server on VMWare and performance is acceptable. I would imagine that if we got significantly larger that we may need to move to physical hardware, especially for the SQL server. Our polling cycles are also somewhat longer than the defaults.

clubjuggle

Based on the additional details above, although our size is similar, I would not recommend moving to a virtual environment at your installation size. While we are running well in one at a similar size, the difference is that we were probably half the size when we virtualized, and grew to where we are. I expect that within the next couple years, we'll have to make the move back to physical hardware. Knowing that, I wouldn't recommend that you virtualize as most likely, you would be likewise setting yourself up to have to move back within a couple years.

Best to stay where you are.

rstoney00

Can it be done?   Yes.

Run over 5k nodes, standard polling rates on virtualized NPM, NCM, SAM, pollers etc.  

HOWEVER:

If you are running any size to your installation, you should probably NOT run your SQL server as virtual.   Now, some may have the SAN speed to support the IOPS needed for SQL server.  This likely falls in to category of really expensive sports cars.  If you have to ask, the answer is no.

As is being pointed out above, be cautious of your interfaces, and add to that LUNs.  With some planning and a bit of monitoring for performance (cpu, memory, etc) it can work out.

javan

Thanks guys for your helpful contribution and advice.