This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

howto install SQLSERVER monitoring on solarwinds Orion Patform 2014.1.0 ?

we have installed a solarwinds

but i am not sure if i should expect this system to monitor SQLSERVER instances.

could someone with experience on this give some guidelines on how to install or explain what is missing ?

thanks,

• What did you install?  Did you install SAM, NPM, or the Database Performance Analyzer for SQL (formerly Confio Ignite)?  If you did not install and setup either SAM (Server and Application Monitor) or the Database Performance Analyzer for SQL, then you won't get SQL isntance monitoring.  If you did, then you'd need to have access to the instance via either Windows or SQL authentication along with adding the server and SQL instance to be monitored.

Regards,

Matthew Harvey

Senior Sales Engineer

Loop 1 Systems

• i am not sure

but it seems to the the version of your product that monitors VMWARE.

i have access to all manners of measures on the VMs.

so would it be possible to bolt on an 'extension'

or

is this a case of purchasing a new product at a massive discount - as an existing client?

thanks,

• nicolas diogo, I'm not really clear on your question.  It does seem that you are talking about Database Performance Analyzer (formerly Confio Ignite).  DPA has an optional feature that requires an additional license.  This feature enables DPA to juxtapose database performance data with VMware events so you can more easily make a case whether or not a database performance problem can be attributed to things like noisy neighbors (resource hungry VMs on the same host).  It is a very popular feature for IT pros facing the virtualization of their database environments, especially if their VMware admin is too quick to say, "not a VMware problem" and won't allow access to VMware data critical to performance troubleshooting.

VmLayers.JPG

• hi Brian

i think the keyword of your answer is 'juxtapose'

i am not That certain which product version we have installed here.

is there a way of identifying it from the user screen.

i was trying to do that by adding the footer that i found on my webpage/screen

and that is why i have added:

solarwinds Orion Patform 2014.1.0

but now it seems this info is not descriptive enough to allow for an identification.

any suggestions on how i can identify our product?

• Oh.  Maybe you don't have DPA installed then, b/c of the way you're saying Orion Platform 2014.1.0.  That is not a DPA version number.  So if you are interested in a deeper dive into DPA, I can have an SE follow up with you.  Would you like me to do that?

• yes please

i will be back tomorrow morning to carry on with the tests that we are conducting.

i am based in London.

and i believe my phone is on the profile.

if you let me know what details you would require from the client to assert which license they have.

i will try to have those on hand by the time we discuss this further.

is that a good way forward?

• It might be that the best way to clear up uncertainties is a screenshot of what product you are looking at.  If we can get an SE on the call, that would be great.  Are you already working with any Solarwinds reps like someone from Sales?  I can reach out to them and help prepare them.  Since you may not see this until tomorrow, I'll get this thread over to Sales right now so they can check on their end, who might be involved already and who to bring in.

Thanks!

• If you only have the Orion Platform, than likely you are referring to Orion NPM or SAM (this can be seen in the footer of the web front end.  Of those products, only SAM can do SQL instance monitoring, but requires WMI, SQL, and RPC access to the instance.

Regards,

Matthew Harvey

Loop 1 Systems

• ?? Not sure what you were replying with, nothing seems to be showing up.