This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Can't connect after renaming Patch Manager server

I recently changed the name of my Patch Manager / WSUS server and now can't connect.  One of the error messages sent me to this link, but there I can't find the Update Services Registration Management in step 2.

Patch Manager is still showing the old server name and I can't figure out how to update it, but when I went into WSUS it showed both the old and new server names.  How do I update the new server in PM?

• Changing the name of a *WSUS* server is handled by deleting the old registration, and then creating a new registration.

You'll find the "Update Services Registration Management" tool by selecting the "Update Services" node of the console, and then right click for the context menu, or use the Actions Pane on the right.

8-14-2014 11-37-25 AM.png

However, changing the name of the Patch Manager server is a bit more problematic, because the Patch Manager Primary Application Server (PAS) is a Certificate Authority for the entire Patch Manager infrastructure (including other PM servers and all consoles). The Root Certificate Authority and the Server Certificate are issued in the name of the server to which Patch Manager was installed.

You'll need to reprovision the certificates using the command-line setuphelper.exe utility which is found in %Program Files%\SolarWinds\Patch Manager\Server.

The specific option you'll need is:

setuphelper /reprovisioncertificates

You can find the full set of options for setuphelper in the Patch Manager Administrator Guide (PDF) or ONLINE.

Beyond that, update the DNS records to reflect the new hostname and old IP Address, and then disconnect/reconnect the console sessions. The console session will download and install the new certificate.

(You can delete the old certificates from the certificate stores, if you wish.)

Finally, you may also wish to access the dbo.devices and dbo.ewdgs tables in the database and delete the references to the old servername.