As an insider, I can't give you production experience review, however I'll give you couple tips that could make you performance better if using local machine as FSDB server.
- To achieve comparable performance level as on SQL, make sure you use similar HW, FSDB technology is faster than SQL, however it stores much more data, so you still need HW capable of processing it quickly.
- Have separated disk drive for FSDB data. Sharing it with system files will increase access times, so FSDB would read data slower.
- Generally FSDB on local server is not remanded for installations over 1000-2000 flows/sec.
- If you are using multiple SolarWinds products, adding FSDB on local server may impact performance of their services as well.
- You can later migrate FSDB data to remote server if you find you local installation performance insufficient.
kewl, Thanks @Choly. Nice, Short, Direct answers! Seperate server it is...!