6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2014 7:41 AM by ks1917

How do you ignore port 0 on SWQL query in custom table?

ks1917

In order to meet a program requirement I created a custom table to show average and peak packets per application(port)

The query is:

SELECT TOP 10 F.Application.Name, F.Port, AVG(F.TotalPackets) as Average, MAX(F.TotalPackets) as Peak

FROM Orion.NetFlow.flows F

WHERE F.IngressInterface.InterfaceID = 295 or F.IngressInterface.InterfaceID = 294

AND minutediff(F.ObservationTimestamp, GetDate()) < 15

GROUP BY F.Port

ORDER BY Average DESC

This display a table as expected but it include counts for port 0.  I guessing the port 0 counts probably includes ICMP as well as some other portless traffic.  In order to not confuse people I was going to ignore port 0.  I've tried several time but nothing seems to do the job.  I thought the new query would be something like:

SELECT TOP 10 F.Application.Name, F.Port, AVG(F.TotalPackets) as Average, MAX(F.TotalPackets) as Peak
      WHERE F.IngressInterface.InterfaceID = 294
      AND F.Port <> 0
      AND minutediff(F.ObservationTimestamp, GetDate()) < 15
      GROUP BY F.Port
      ORDER BY Average DESC

I've also tried:

F.Port != 0

F.Port > 0

F.Port >= 1

F.Port is NOT NULL

F.Port <> '0' (even though I know Orion.Netflow.Flows.Port is an int(32))

How do you ignore port 0?  I've attached a picture of the table so you can see the port 0 counts.

• Re: How do you ignore port 0 on SWQL query in custom table?
          madhavan

Hi,

Please try this query and let us know.

WHERE F.IngressInterface.InterfaceID in (295, 294) AND minutediff(F.ObservationTimestamp, GetDate()) < 15 AND F.PORT <> 0

GROUP BY F.Application.Name, F.Port

ORDER BY Average DESC

ks1917

Hey Madhavan,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I switched over to our lab environment to try the query so it’s just a little different from the one I posted on the forum.

I’m new to Solarwinds but I don’t think SWQL support the ‘IN’ clause.  Every time I tried to use the ‘IN’ clause I received an ‘invalid query’ response.

Attached are 2 pics, one of the table and one of the query.  As you can see it’s like the ‘AND F.Port <> 0’ is being ignored.

Everything I know about SQL, which isn’t much, says this should work, so I’m at a loss for why its not.

I tried opening a support case but they said they do not support custom SWQL queries and suggested I try the Thwack forum.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne

tom.rybka

Hi,

the query looks correct, it should really filter out all flows on port 0. I have constructed the following diagnostic query to indicate whether the filtering works properly.

SELECT COUNT(sub.Port) as Cnt

FROM (

SELECT F.Port

WHERE F.Port <> 0 AND F.InterfaceIDRx = 294

AND F.ObservationTimestamp > '2014-08-11 11:00:00' -- minus 15 minutes than current

) sub

WHERE sub.Port = 0 OR GetDate() < '2000-01-01 00:00:00' -- keep this date unchanged

Note: please update the date constant indicated in the query to a suggested value, avoid using GetDate() function in this case, please.

The query should return 0. If not, there might be indexes corrupted and I would recommend you to open a support ticket.

1 of 1 people found this helpful