13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2016 12:33 AM by gregory.mccroan

Integrate iDirect SNMP Proxy into SolarWinds

jim8424

Has anyone every found a way to get meaningful stats from the iDirect SNMP proxy? With all the iDirect infrastructure out there, it would be great to to find a way to make this work.

• Re: Integrate iDirect SNMP Proxy into SolarWinds
          mallgood

I'm working on setting up Idirect SNMP into SolarWinds now. I haven't attempted to pull too much data, but have been able to import SNRs, IP Traffic, Power, status, and a few other administrative values.

jim8424

Are you able to pull these stats from individual remote modems?

mallgood

Yes. It's actually a project that I have been working on for the last few days. I was able to pull full tables that covered all remotes in the NMS and was able to pull statistics for individual remotes.

VSAT Snip.PNG

There are tons of details that I am still working out, but it seems to be going in the right direction.

At first I was just pulling the full tables using different OIDs, for instance OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.13732.1.4.3.1.3  used with the GET TABLE option (Orion Universal Device Poller) would pull the TX power for all remotes. After performing a MIB walk on for the NMS server I found that each remote had an value that could be appended to the end of that OID and used with the GET option to pull just the TX power for the individual remote 1.3.6.1.4.1.13732.1.4.3.1.3.XXXXXXXX

There may be a better way to accomplish this, but this is working for me at the moment

netorney

I have written a Perl script that will create Pollers XML files that can be imported.  This creates RX and TX bandwidth graphs.  You can run it for each netmodem that you want to add.  This closely tracks what iMonitor indicates.

#!/usr/bin/perl -iw

use warnings;

use strict;

my $did;

my $serialnum;my $sitename;my $customername;

print " enter DID number of the netmodem\n";

chomp($did= <>);

print " enter netmodem serial number\n";

chomp($serialnum= <>);

print " enter Site name of the netmodem, e.g Enterprise\n";

chomp($sitename= <>);

print " enter Main Customerfor the  netmodems , e.g US Navy\n";

chomp($customername= <>);

my @out;

open OUT, ">$did.idnc";

while (<DATA>){    $_ =~ s/Zcustomername/$customername/g;

$_ =~ s/Zsitename/$sitename/g;

$_ =~ s/Zserialnum/$serialnum/g;

$_ =~ s/rxotherZer/rxother$serialnum/gs;

$_ =~ s/rxicmpZer/rxicmp$serialnum/g;

$_ =~ s/rxtcpZer/rxtcp$serialnum/g;

$_ =~ s/rxudpZer/rxudp$serialnum/g;

$_ =~ s/txotherZer/txother$serialnum/g;

$_ =~ s/txicmpZer/txicmp$serialnum/g;

$_ =~ s/txtcpZer/txtcp$serialnum/g;

$_ =~ s/txudpZer/txudp$serialnum/g;

$_ =~ s/ZDID/$did/g;

push @out, $_;

}

print OUT @out;   

sleep 1;

system "Notepad.exe  $did.idnc";

__DATA__

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<CustomPollers version="9.0">

<CustomPoller UniqueName="Zcustomername Zsitename s/n=Zserialnum RXTotal" Description="Total rx traffic for Zcustomername Zsitename" OID="" MIB="" SNMPGetType="Get" NetObjectPrefix="N" GroupName="iDirect" PollerType="F" Parser="None" IncludeHistory="True" Unit="" TimeUnitId="0" TimeUnitQuantity="0" DefaultDisplayTimeUnitId="0" Formula="({rxotherZer}+{rxicmpZer}+{rxudpZer}+{rxtcpZer})/8" LabelType="" LabelDetail="">

<Enumerations />

</CustomPoller>

<CustomPoller UniqueName="Zcustomername Zsitename s/n=Zserialnum TXTotal" Description="Total tx traffic for Zcustomername Zsitename" OID="" MIB="" SNMPGetType="Get" NetObjectPrefix="N" GroupName="iDirect" PollerType="F" Parser="None" IncludeHistory="True" Unit="" TimeUnitId="0" TimeUnitQuantity="0" DefaultDisplayTimeUnitId="0" Formula="({txotherZer}+{txtcpZer}+{txicmpZer}+{txudpZer})/8" LabelType="" LabelDetail="">

<Enumerations />

</CustomPoller>

<CustomPoller UniqueName="rxicmpZer" Description="" OID="1.3.6.1.4.1.13732.1.4.1.1.4.ZDID" MIB="IDIRECT-REMOTE-MIB:rxicmp" SNMPGetType="Get" NetObjectPrefix="N" GroupName="iDirect" PollerType="C" Parser="Counter" IncludeHistory="True" Unit="1" TimeUnitId="2" TimeUnitQuantity="0" DefaultDisplayTimeUnitId="0" Formula="" LabelType="" LabelDetail="">

<Enumerations />

</CustomPoller>

<CustomPoller UniqueName="txudpZer" Description="" OID="1.3.6.1.4.1.13732.1.4.1.1.9.ZDID" MIB="IDIRECT-REMOTE-MIB:txudp" SNMPGetType="Get" NetObjectPrefix="N" GroupName="iDirect" PollerType="C" Parser="Counter" IncludeHistory="True" Unit="1" TimeUnitId="2" TimeUnitQuantity="0" DefaultDisplayTimeUnitId="0" Formula="" LabelType="" LabelDetail="">

<Enumerations />

</CustomPoller>

<CustomPoller UniqueName="txtcpZer" Description="" OID="1.3.6.1.4.1.13732.1.4.1.1.8.ZDID" MIB="IDIRECT-REMOTE-MIB:rxtcp" SNMPGetType="Get" NetObjectPrefix="N" GroupName="iDirect" PollerType="C" Parser="Counter" IncludeHistory="True" Unit="1" TimeUnitId="2" TimeUnitQuantity="0" DefaultDisplayTimeUnitId="0" Formula="" LabelType="" LabelDetail="">

<Enumerations />

</CustomPoller>

<CustomPoller UniqueName="txotherZer" Description="" OID="1.3.6.1.4.1.13732.1.4.1.1.13.ZDID" MIB="IDIRECT-REMOTE-MIB:txother" SNMPGetType="Get" NetObjectPrefix="N" GroupName="iDirect" PollerType="C" Parser="Counter" IncludeHistory="True" Unit="1" TimeUnitId="2" TimeUnitQuantity="0" DefaultDisplayTimeUnitId="0" Formula="" LabelType="" LabelDetail="">

<Enumerations />

</CustomPoller>

<CustomPoller UniqueName="txicmpZer" Description="" OID="1.3.6.1.4.1.13732.1.4.1.1.10.ZDID" MIB="IDIRECT-REMOTE-MIB:txicmp" SNMPGetType="Get" NetObjectPrefix="N" GroupName="iDirect" PollerType="C" Parser="Counter" IncludeHistory="True" Unit="1" TimeUnitId="2" TimeUnitQuantity="0" DefaultDisplayTimeUnitId="0" Formula="" LabelType="" LabelDetail="">

<Enumerations />

</CustomPoller>

<CustomPoller UniqueName="rxudpZer" Description="" OID="1.3.6.1.4.1.13732.1.4.1.1.3.ZDID" MIB="IDIRECT-REMOTE-MIB:rxudp" SNMPGetType="Get" NetObjectPrefix="N" GroupName="iDirect" PollerType="C" Parser="Counter" IncludeHistory="True" Unit="1" TimeUnitId="2" TimeUnitQuantity="0" DefaultDisplayTimeUnitId="0" Formula="" LabelType="" LabelDetail="">

<Enumerations />

</CustomPoller>

<CustomPoller UniqueName="rxtcpZer" Description="" OID="1.3.6.1.4.1.13732.1.4.1.1.2.ZDID" MIB="IDIRECT-REMOTE-MIB:rxtcp" SNMPGetType="Get" NetObjectPrefix="N" GroupName="iDirect" PollerType="C" Parser="Counter" IncludeHistory="True" Unit="1" TimeUnitId="2" TimeUnitQuantity="0" DefaultDisplayTimeUnitId="0" Formula="" LabelType="" LabelDetail="">

<Enumerations />

</CustomPoller>

<CustomPoller UniqueName="rxotherZer" Description="" OID="1.3.6.1.4.1.13732.1.4.1.1.7.ZDID" MIB="IDIRECT-REMOTE-MIB:rxotherZer" SNMPGetType="Get" NetObjectPrefix="N" GroupName="iDirect" PollerType="C" Parser="Counter" IncludeHistory="True" Unit="1" TimeUnitId="2" TimeUnitQuantity="0" DefaultDisplayTimeUnitId="0" Formula="" LabelType="" LabelDetail="">

<Enumerations />

</CustomPoller>

</CustomPollers>

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  gregory.mccroan

I am also working on a project to integrate iDirect SNMP Proxy with SolarWinds. Has anyone created custom pollens that can be imported? The amount of work to add individual pollers and associate with the iDirect hardware such as linecards, modems, protocol processors, and hub would be extremely time consuming. Would like to work with someone to build all required custom pollers to fully monitor and manage an iDirect network using Solarwinds.

1 of 1 people found this helpful