5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2015 3:56 AM by sz-a

Wrong Names after duplicate package and publish?

sz-a

I don't know what goes wrong: Sometimes I duplicate packages and rename to remove the "Copy of ...". After that if I publish the duplicated Package it shows the "Copy of ..." name again.

If I have to modify a package, do I have to (?):

- expire old package

- change/modify package (mostly the packageboot.xml to remove old reg keys which cause the install of java or adobe reader to fail)

- duplicate package

If I duplicate before modification the name problem appears.

EDIT: And what I have to do  if the Software Publishing Tree shows me the name without "copy of ..." and the WSUS Server Update View the name with "Copy of ..." ? I thought the Name of the package is the name which later is listed in "Programs and Features"?

• Re: Wrong Names after duplicate package and publish?
          Lawrence Garvin

If I have to modify a package, do I have to (?):

It depends on what you are modifying.

• If you're changing anything that is contained in FILES, e.g. the EXE, MSI, MSP, PackageBoot.XML, or any other included additonal files, then you must create a NEW package and publish the new package with the changed binaries.
          • If you are merely changing the metadata (as in the Update Title or detection logic), then you simply publish the changed package, and it shows up on the WSUS server as a revision of the previous publication.

- expire old package

- change/modify package (mostly the packageboot.xml to remove old reg keys which cause the install of java or adobe reader to fail)

- duplicate package

So, yes, in this instance, where you're changing the rules in PackageBoot, which results in a changed PackageBoot.XML, which results in a changed CAB file on the WSUS server, you must duplicate the package and publish the new package, expiring the old one.

If I duplicate before modification the name problem appears.

Well... :-)

And what I have to do  if the Software Publishing Tree shows me the name without "copy of ..." and the WSUS Server Update View the name with "Copy of ..." ?

I would argue that those are two different packages and you're not comparing apples-to-apples. Look at the Package/ID/UpdateID to verify they are the same.

sz-a

I did the following: Under "Administration and Reporting/Software Publishing/Sun Packages" I selected "Java Runtime Environment 7u65 (x86 for x64)", did a right click, choose "publish packages" ... and at following Patch Manager Publishing Wizard window my package with the same package ID was written "Copy of Java Runtime Environment 7u65 (x86 for x64)".

Finally I deleted the package, changed the original, duplicated and published again and now all went how it should. ... until the next time :-)

Lawrence Garvin

I did the following: Under "Administration and Reporting/Software Publishing/Sun Packages" I selected "Java Runtime Environment 7u65 (x86 for x64)", did a right click, choose "publish packages" ... and at following Patch Manager Publishing Wizard window my package with the same package ID was written "Copy of Java Runtime Environment 7u65 (x86 for x64)".

Please post a screenshot of your "Sun Packages" node showing all packages with the string "7u65", and post a screenshot of the Publishing Wizard after right-clicking on the "Java Runtime Environment 7u65 (x86 for x64)" package.

What you describe here is impossible (or a bug), so it will help to see the screenshots.

Finally I deleted the package,

DELETED what package??? from where???

changed the original, duplicated and published again and now all went how it should. ... until the next time :-)

I suspect there won't be a "next time". I suspect the behavior you observed was a result of some state that wasn't being described; possibly related to the package you "deleted".

sz-a

Please post a screenshot of your "Sun Packages" node showing all packages with the string "7u65", and post a screenshot of the Publishing Wizard after right-clicking on the "Java Runtime Environment 7u65 (x86 for x64)" package.

What you describe here is impossible (or a bug), so it will help to see the screenshots.

Today I duplicated and modified (I need to apply an additional reg delete before install) the new Java 7u67 Packages - all went ok.

DELETED what package??? from where???

I deleted the former published package with wrong Name from WSUS (third Party updates view --> Right click on package --> delete) and the not published duplicated package where the error occured under "Software Publishing" (Delete) in console. I didn't approve this package

I suspect there won't be a "next time". I suspect the behavior you observed was a result of some state that wasn't being described; possibly related to the package you "deleted".

I hope so. If it occurs again I will post the needed Screenshots.

sz-a

I found the solution for the wrong names:

We use a german OS and solarwinds is in English. The mmc which is used by solarwinds console uses German language. Because this it depends on the actually viewed path (package repositories or wsus management) which package name is shown.

Each package has a german title (which i corrected) and an english one (which remained like "Copy of Copy of ..."). If I change both - all is fine.