16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2014 1:04 PM by lbando

Adobe Acrobat X Std/Pro updates

lbando

Hello,

I am trying to push Adobe Acrobat 10 updates with patch manager.

Unfortunately I can update the application only once, for example I can update from 10.0.0 to 10.1.9 successfully but later if I want to apply the latest update 10.1.10 the client won't receive the update.

Why is that? can anyone explain that to me?

Thank you.

LB

• Re: Adobe Acrobat X Std/Pro updates
          Lawrence Garvin

Are you using Adobe-provided MSP files for these update packages?

If so, the first thing to be aware of is that the MSP contains its own detection logic.

The second thing to be aware of is that over the history of Reader and Acrobat MSP update files, Adobe has screwed up about half of them as I recall.

Sometimes they detect properly as needed; sometimes they don't.

First test would be to see if you can run the 10.1.10 MSP on an existing 10.1.9 system; if you can, then you can rule out the logic within the MSP, and then focus on the logic within your package.

Because the MSP has fairly strict detection logic, your package should be very simple:

• Prerequisite Rules: Windows Version, Language, and Processor Architecture, and is Adobe Acrobat 10 installed.
          • Applicability Rules: Is Adobe Acrobat 10.1.9 installed.
          • Installed Rules: Is Adobe Acrobat 10.1.10 installed.
              lbando

Hi Lawrence,

first thank you for your reply.

I am using Adobe MSP file with the Adobe Systems, Inc. Packages.

I am able to run and install locally the 10.1.10 MSP file in a client with 10.1.9 if that what you meant, so the MSP file is working.

When I go to Adobe Systems, Inc. Packages and create the Adobe 10.1.10 package with the Adobe MSP file I do not get the Applicability rules and Installed Rules.

I got those two options only if the file is MSI or a .exe, why is that?

Am I missing something?

Thank you

Lawrence Garvin
                  I am using Adobe MSP file with the Adobe Systems, Inc. Packages.

Okay, so that's an ADOBE-produced package, and you probably should be having this conversation with Adobe.

As noted, they have an established history of screwing up their packages.

When I go to Adobe Systems, Inc. Packages and create the Adobe 10.1.10 package

STOP! Why are you *creating* a package??? Adobe provides a catalog of Adobe Acrobat update packages ready to use!

Furthermore, Patch Manager is fully capable of synchronizing that catalog. All you need to do is turn it on.

8-5-2014 9-52-11 AM.png8-5-2014 9-54-37 AM.png

HOWEVER... it seems that Adobe forgot to define PreRequisite Rules in their package definition for the Acrobat 10.1.10 update.... so it probably doesn't work correctly.

(It certainly doesn't work *efficiently*, even if it does work correctly.)

8-5-2014 9-58-39 AM.png

They made the same mistake in the Acrobat 10.1.9 package, but they properly defined the ruleset in the Acrobat 10.1.8 package.

8-5-2014 10-01-54 AM.png

I would suggest synchronizing the Adobe Acrobat 10 catalog, and then duplicating the Acrobat 10.1.10 package and adding back this missing pair of Processor Architecture rules.

I would also suggest adding a test for the presence of Adobe Acrobat v10. (There's no need for the WUAgent to cache and evaluate an Acrobat patch if Acrobat v10 is not installed!)

The final logic would look like this:

When ALL of the following...

Registry Key EXISTS (HKLM\Software\Adobe\Acrobat)

When ANY of the following...

Processor Architecture=x86

Processor Architecture=x64

Note, there may be a v10-specific registry key (e.g. HKLM\Software\Adobe\Acrobat\10 or HKLM\Software\Adobe\Acrobat10) -- you'll definitely want to test for the Acrobat TEN key so you can also eliminate Acrobat v8 and Acrobat v9 systems.

with the Adobe MSP file I do not get the Applicability rules and Installed Rules.

Ahh.. correct. My apologies. With MSP files you cannot specify Applicability Rules or Installed Rules because they are fully contained within the MSP.

lbando

I am sorry, when I said create a package I meant using the Patch manager Package Wizard with the synchronized Adobe Acrobat 10 catalog, uploading the MSP file and publishing it.

I had in my prerequisite rules the one you listed:

I might tried the registry keys too, although in the past I did not have any luck with them either.

solar.JPG

Lawrence Garvin
                          I am sorry, when I said create a package...

Accurate semantics are critical in written communication, and especially so when talking about local publishing. :-)

Creating is radically different from Publishing.

Lawrence Garvin

I had in my prerequisite rules the one you listed:

And now I'm confuzed again.... you just said you were only publishing the package... yet the package, as shipped from Adobe, does not have Prerequisite Rules.

So did you also CUSTOMIZE the Adobe provided package before publishing it?

Did you DUPLICATE the Adobe provided package before publishing it?

When did you make the customizations?

When did you publish the package?

How often is your Patch Manager configured to synchronize catalogs?

The Point: If you modified the original vendor-provided package, the synchronization event overwrites any changes made to the vendor-supplied package, which is why duplicate-and-customize is a required step.

Furthermore, if you customized at time 'a', then a synchronization occurred at time 'b', and finally you published at time 'c', and a < b < c, then you actually published the *original* Adobe package, not your customized package.

lbando

I tried the Adobe package and it did not work so I tried to customize it duplicating the package but unsuccessfully.

This is a long issue that I had with acrobat and I kept postponing it, now I have more time and I would like to understand what I am doing wrong.

Synchronization is once every day.

I customize before publishing it.

I publish the package right after completing the Wizard.

stcain

Why are you creating the packages? They should already exist in Patch Manager if you are syncing the Adobe stuff from SolarWinds. I've applied all the Adobe Acrobat and Reader patches over the past year just by publishing the package which downloads the files from Adobe and then approving them for distribution. Applicability and installations have always worked flawlessly. I never had a need to create or edit any Adobe packages from SolarWinds.

lbando

What kind of prerequisite rules did you use?

I am upgrading Acrobat Standard clean installation as a test from 10.0.0 to 10.1.9 and it works, but when I try to push the next patch 10.1.10 it is not working. I am using the synchronized Adobe Catalog, I said create a package but I meant using the Patch manager wizard with the Adobe catalog and uploading the MSP file.

Lawrence Garvin
                                    I am upgrading Acrobat Standard clean installation as a test from 10.0.0 to 10.1.9

We should probably have a side discussion on this as well... How are you upgrading from 10.0.0 to 10.1.9 ???

Have you considered that the MSP designed to upgrade a 10.1.9 (which is likely assumed to be a patched instance of 10.1 > 10.1.1 > 10.1.2 > 10.1.3 > 10.1.4 > 10.1.5 > 10.1.6 > 10.1.7 > 10.1.8 > 10.1.9), might not be compatible with your Direct-To-10.1.9 methodology?

If you install an instance of 10.1.0 and patch it to 10.1.9, does the 10.1.10 package then work?

Does the Adobe-supplied 10.1.9 package properly detect on a 10.1.8 system?

Does the Adobe-supplied 10.1.8 package (which has correct prerequisite rules) properly detect on a 10.1.7 system?

lbando

I am able to push the Adobe update 10.1.9 to a client with Acrobat 10.0.0 and I works fine than when I tried to push the 10.1.10 the client does not see the update .

I have considered an incremental patching system 10.1 > 10.1.1 > 10.1.2 > 10.1.3 > 10.1.4 > 10.1.5 > 10.1.6 > 10.1.7 > 10.1.8 > 10.1.9, if that is the case it could be a problem because the old clients with Acrobat installed used to receive updates from the built in Acrobat updater and when Solarwinds was installed I was never able to push the Acrobat updates to the clients.

At this point I have to play more and apply the updates from 10.0.0>10.1.0>10.1.2>10.1.3 until the latest Patch.

Lawrence Garvin

My money is on the fact that the 10.1.10 MSP does not like your 10.0.0 -> 10.1.9 upgrade path.

Adobe writes these MSPs assuming that patches have been applied incrementally.

My guess is that the 10.1.10 MSP is looking for the 10.1.0 ProductID and/or the 10.1.9 PatchID in the Windows Installer database, and one or both of them are not there.

At a minimum, I think you're going to need to go 10.0.x -> 10.1.0 -> and incrementally to 10.1.9 (which has always been the ultimate annoyance of Acrobat patching).

stcain

I didn't even look at the pre-req rules, I just published the package as is and it applied with no issues. Same goes for all the Acrobat and Reader patches that I've deployed. But you can have issues if you try to skip versions. The Adobe .MSP files usually look for a specific version that they can upgrade from.