4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2014 8:15 PM by dalelsw

Increasing memory of database

bharris

We just upgraded to 5.7.1 last week and with the new "Storage Manager Health" screen is showing that the database is running high on memory.  What do I need to do to bump the database memory up to 2048MB?

Capture-stmmem.JPG

Thanks

• Re: Increasing memory of database
          KMSigma

There is a link just below the entries on your Storage Manager Health Page about assigning physical memory to the services.  It'll take you to http://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/storage/storagemanager/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm#context=StorageMana… and from there, you can scroll down to "Database Memory Settings."

Just follow the recommendations for sizing the database memory from there.  We give guidelines, but many of the settings would need to be tweaked for you own environment.  If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              bharris

KMSigma, I do have another question. I don't believe we have ever ran a DB maintenance and are thinking about setting up a schedule task to perform it weekly.  We had some issues with crashed tables a while ago and ran the script to fix them.  That process took 5-6 hours.  Does the DB maintenance take that long or is it much shorter?  I'm assuming STM will be down when this runs?

Thanks

KMSigma

Honestly, I can't comment on what is a "normal" time that it takes for the DB Maintenance to run.  It's highly dependent on two factors:

1. Database Size
                  2. Underlying Disk I/O

If you have a large database (say 80 GB) and it's on a "traditional" disk, you are going to have to wait for quite a while.  However, since the DB Maintenance task is more closely bound to the Disk Performance, you can reduce this greatly by using faster disks or using a RAID configuration specifically designed for High I/O (like RAID 10 or similar).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    dalelsw

The dbutil performs a MySQL analyze and repair/recover on all tables in the storage DB, which results in a DB optimization being done.

This is effectively the same from performance/time point of view (dbutil uses "myisamchk", which is the main MySQL tool used to repair, analyze and optimize).

Keep an eye on the IOPS (read/write transfers per second) via iostat or perfmon (depending on which OS you run STM). I currently have STM limited to 800 IOPS on a SAN environment, however it could happily use more IOPS.