This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

LEM agent auto-upgrade?

I may be misunderstanding, but I thought that after upgrading LEM from 5.6 to 6.0, the agents would auto-upgrade. I have selected the nodes and chosen Remote Updates > Enable, but it looks like the only way to upgrade them is to select them and then select Remote Updates > Update. Is this the case or should they be upgrading automatically?

• Yes, the Windows agents should automatically upgrade by themselves. Not all at once, mind you, but in batches of 7-10 at a time.

• OK, if they are not, I assume I should open a ticket?

• I had problems last time I upgraded with my Linux agents not auto-upgrading.  When the auto-upgrade doesn't work it's a huge pain to manually upgrade all of those agents.  It's always been one of the reasons I avoid agents when I can.

Please keep this thread updated on how this works out as I don't want to upgrade until I know this is resolved, thanks!

• I'm under the impression that Linux agents don't have the capability of auto upgrade? Was I mistaken?

• I have received conflicting information on that.  I had one SW support person tell me that the Linux agents should auto-update while another support person tell me that they do not.  If they in fact do not, this is a huge issue for us as many of the systems we manage with LEM are Linux systems.

• I experienced this same issue but we had 5.7 RC to 6.0. 

• Make sure you have Global Automatic Updates enabled.  Manage > Appliances > Properties section under Settings tab.

Global Automatic Updates.png

• LEM agents all showed as being upgraded from 5.7 to 6.0.  However, a quick check on each agent control panel in 'Add / Remove Programs' show that the agent version installed is still at 5.7.

On the Console:

6.0_snip.JPG

On the Server:

pastedImage_1.png

• I also show the 5.7.0.0 in my environment under Add/Remove programs.  You can confirm the 6.0.0 is installed by looking in "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ContegoSPOP" should see 6.0.0 directory.  It looks like they forgot to update the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SolarWinds Log & Event Manager Agent) with the new details i.e. DisplayVersion and InstallDate.

*Note paths may be different on a 32-bit OS

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to byrona

For a very long time, we had the technical capability to upgrade Linux agents remotely but did not include it packaged in to the appliance.

With our 5.7 release and forward, we have been including ALL FLAVORS of agent that we possibly can to automatically remote update. This means Linux, Windows, AIX, HPUX, Solaris, and Mac OS X, except where noted in the Release Notes (with v5.7 the caveats were for Solaris 9, older AIX, Mac OS X, anything LEM/SIM v4.6 - basically anything that's not/can't run a Java 7 JRE without intervention).

So for upgrades from 5.7 forward, you should get Linux (and other platform) auto-updates, and if you don't, we should look into it. The number of times something is going wrong here means we should get this looked into. All of you having this issue should file support tickets so we can corroborate issues/solutions - feel free to report back the numbers.