This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SAM - Find nodes not assigned to a Group?

How does one find which nodes are not assigned to a group?  I have about 1500 nodes so far.  I rather do this with a Dynamic Group Query but if this has to be done using another method such as a report I can do that as well. Just needs to be done fast with no manual checking as far as plugging in the other 45 groups I have so far.

• The easiest way to determine which nodes are not a member of a given group is to simply edit the properties of the group and view its members. Any nodes listed on the left side are those that are not a member of the group. Those on the ride side are included within that group.

Group Members.png

• Unfortunately that does not work if your groups are based on dynamic queries..  see the picture below.  Do you know how to pull this information from a SQL report?

y69A34A.png

• You would need to specify the same same criteria as the dynamic query within the report as their is no way that I'm aware of to query the group via a report to assess which nodes are not applicable to the group. This is mostly because Groups can contain virtually any entity type, such as SAM components, interfaces, volumes, etc.. Groups are not exclusive to nodes. This however would be feasible using Custom Properties instead, and Custom Properties can be used within groups as well. You may have success posting in the Report Lab where one of the Report Guru's may have some creative ideas. 

• Brink,

Are you asking how to find nodes that don't belong to ANY groups? I wanted to ensure my dynamic queries were working and use this in a Custom Query resource to return that:

SELECT

n.caption as Node

, n.DetailsUrl AS [_LinkFor_Node]

, '/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-' + n.StatusLED AS [_IconFor_Node]

, n.customproperties.system

, n.Contact

, n.location

FROM Orion.Nodes n

left join Orion.ContainerMembers c on c.MemberPrimaryID = n.nodeid

where c.MemberPrimaryID is NULL

Inversely this will return groups which have no members:

SELECT

G.ContainerID

, G.Name

, G.DetailsURL as [_LinkFor_Name]

, '/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-' + G.StatusDescription + '.gif' AS [_IconFor_Name]

, G.pollingenabled

, G.unmanaged

FROM Orion.Groups G

left outer join Orion.ContainerMembers M on G.containerid = M.containerid

where m.containerid is null

order by containerid desc

Credit to anyone else who might have supplied these to me. You're awesome.

• Yes this is what I am looking for.  Did you put these sql queries within a Custom Query or in a report?  If so would you be able to take a screenshot for me of the location you put it in?

• Bump, can anyone show me where I put these queries in?

• Custom query resource if its SWQL

Thanks,

Christian

• Partially Resolved... Solarwinds Support had to write me a custom SQL query on my database.  Solarwinds doesn't seem to know how to make this information show through their interface..

Start Code ------------------

select Caption

from nodes

where

not Caption in (

SELECT distinct [FullName]

FROM [ContainerMemberSnapshots]

where [EntityDisplayName] = 'Node'

)

End Code -------------------

• Brink668, (neighbor of the beast?)

if you take go to your summary page, customize view,  click + to add a resource and type in query, add this custom query resource to your page and done on the customize view page. Then click edit on the actual resource back on the summary page, copy in the first swql statement I provided in my post above and there you have a list of  nodes not in groups

• Okay, yes I did that try that.. I was hoping I did it wrong as I got errors...When I asked Solarwinds about it support just brushed me off and said they don't support SWQL.

This is the error I received:

Error: A query to the SolarWinds Information Service failed.