This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Why does a report show the same computer name multiple times?

After running a report, I'm seeing a couple of computers that will show up multiple times per item.  If it were once or twice, that wouldn't be a huge deal, but I'm talking about over one hundred entries of the exact same machine.  For example, I know that there are less than 75 clients on our network, yet when I run a report that details software installed, I'm seeing 522 items for a single program, almost all of which are coming from two specific machines.  This is not limited to a specific program, as every program that is installed on those two machines is showing up with 500+ entries on the report.

• One possible cause for this is duplicated inventory data in the PatchMgr database. Since this is only occurring on a couple of computers, I would suggest deleting those computers from the Managed Computers group (which should purge all of their associated inventory data), and then re-run a targeted inventory task against just those two systems to refresh the inventory data.

• Thank you for the replay, Lawrence.  I've removed one of the machines in question from Managed Computers, as well as removed it from the group in WSUS that I'm running the inventory command on.  Unfortunately, the removed computer is still listed on the report.  Is there a way to purge the inventory data?

• Okay... let's back up a second, because I'm not sure how WSUS got into this picture .. or else I've significantly misunderstood.

In the original post you were talking about an Installed Programs report, which fundamentally is based upon a WMI Managed Computer Inventory task and WSUS has nothing at all to do with that.

So can you better explain this part of your statement please:

the group in WSUS that I'm running the inventory command on

Additionally it may be relevant to know exactly which report you're using, and if you could post a screenshot of sample results showing these duplicate entries that would also be helpful.

• My apologies for the confusion.  First, let me apologize about the image sizes.  I tried to reduce their size while keeping them somewhat legible.

In regards to the statement of

the group in WSUS that I'm running the inventory command on

What I'm referring to is that Patch Manager displays the WSUS groups in the GUI.  When I run an inventory command via Patch Manager, I do so by right-clicking the group (which Patch Manager retrieves based on the WSUS groups) and selecting Inventory:

Inventory_Command.jpg

The report is user defined and was setup by someone at Solar Winds during my trial period.  I had asked for a report that would show what was installed on each computer and the version number.   Once the report is run, I sort by the program's Display Name and then expand the program to view the names of the machines which have the program installed.  Below shows that 515 items have Flash installed, listed with the computer in question (CONNIE7) showing over and over (this is obviously just a fragment of the entire report):

Repeat_Example.jpg

Below is the screenshot of the report's settings:

Report_Definition.jpg

If you would like any additional information, I'd be more than happy to comply.  I appreciate the help.

• Below is the screenshot of the report's settings:

Report_Definition.jpg

It looks to me like this report template has been built from the Computer (General) report category, and I think that may be a contributing factor to your dupe records. My impression is driven by the use of the "Program Features" datasource, which is a custom name used for the "Installed Programs and Features" datasource in that category, and I wasn't able to find that particular string anywhere else.

Computer (General) is actually a special purpose report category with a number of very large cross-domain pre-defined datasources, and using multiple datasources from Computer (General) should have generated a blocking error when attempting to save the report.

In the Installed Programs and Features report category there is a predefined report named Installed Programs and Features Basic, and I would recommend starting from that report and customizing as you need to get what you want.

6-19-2014 2-24-14 PM.png

• That solved it.  Thank you for your help, Lawrence!