6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2014 11:12 AM by RichardLetts

SWQL query across Cirrus and Orion objects

RichardLetts

I am trying to execute the following SWQL query:

SELECT n1.ip_address, i4.interfaceindex, i4.interfacename,RemoteSystemName

FROM Orion.NodeLldpEntry NLE inner join Orion.nodes N1

on NLE.nodeid=n1.nodeid

inner join Orion.nodes N2

on NLE.remotesystemname=n2.sysname

inner join Cirrus.Nodes n3

on n3.corenodeid=n1.nodeid

inner join Cirrus.Interfaces i3

on i3.interfaceindex = nle.localportnumber and i3.nodeid=n3.nodeid

inner join Cirrus.Interfaces i4

on i3.macaddress = i4.macaddress and i4.PhysicalInterface='Y'

left outer join Orion.NPM.Interfaces i

on i.interfaceindex = nle.localportnumber and i.nodeid=nle.nodeid

left outer join Orion.NPM.Interfaces i5

on i5.interfaceindex = i4.interfaceindex and i5.nodeid=nle.nodeid

where i.interfaceid is null and i5.interfaceindex is null

and n1.caption not like '%@%'

and nle.localportnumber != 0

[this query identifies unmonitored layer-2 interfaces between two monitored nodes.]

The information service is misconverting this into the following SQL:

SELECT [T1].[IP_Address] AS C1, [T2].[InterfaceIndex] AS C2, [T2].[InterfaceName] AS C3, [T3].[RemoteSystemName] AS C4

FROM [dbo].[NodeLldpEntries] AS T3

INNER JOIN [dbo].[Nodes] AS T1 ON ([T3].[NodeID] = [T1].[NodeID])

INNER JOIN [dbo].[Nodes] AS T6 ON ([T3].[RemoteSystemName] = [T6].[SysName])

INNER JOIN [Nodes] AS T7 ON ([T7].[CoreNodeID] = [T1].[NodeID])

INNER JOIN [Interfaces] AS T8 ON (([T8].[InterfaceIndex] = [T3].[LocalPortNumber]) AND ([T8].[NodeID] = [T7].[NodeID]))

INNER JOIN [Interfaces] AS T2 ON (([T8].[MACAddress] = [T2].[MACAddress]) AND ([T2].[PhysicalInterface] = N'Y'))

LEFT JOIN [dbo].[Interfaces] AS T4 ON (([T4].[InterfaceIndex] = [T3].[LocalPortNumber]) AND ([T4].[NodeID] = [T3].[NodeID]))

LEFT JOIN [dbo].[Interfaces] AS T5 ON (([T5].[InterfaceIndex] = [T2].[InterfaceIndex]) AND ([T5].[NodeID] = [T3].[NodeID]))

WHERE (((([T4].[InterfaceID] IS NULL) AND ([T5].[InterfaceIndex] IS NULL)) AND ([T1].[Caption] NOT LIKE N'%@%')) AND ([T3].[LocalPortNumber] <> 0))

notice the database selector for the Cirrus and Orion SWQL objects are missing.

Suggestions?

• Re: SWQL query across Cirrus and Orion objects
          tdanner

What version of NCM?

RichardLetts

[well, DUH on me for not including this]

NCM: 7.2.1 / NPM: 10.6.1 / UDT 3.1.2: + a whole load of buddy drops

madhavan

Hi,

In this version of NCM, Cirrus tables and Orion tables are in two different databases. SWIS takes care of getting the data from these tables and joining in memory. That's the reason you are not seeing db names in the formed query.

Did you get this query from log file or SQL profiler?

Moreover, whether the SWQL query you use returns incorrect results? or you are concerned about the SQL query formed?

RichardLetts

I have a report that has the SQL that works in it that runs correctly under the reportWriter.

I converted that into SWQL and references the SWIS tables in the query (because I want to use the returned values in a program to monitor interfaces)

the two queries I pasted in above were copied from the InformationService logfile, and show what it received, and what it converted it into.

it is obvious that SWIS does not not take care of getting the data from the tables and joining them in memory -- that is a hard task and

it botched the SWQL to SQL conversion by not fully qualifying the table's names; the following is the correct SWQL->SQL translation

SELECT [T1].[IP_Address] AS C1, [T2].[InterfaceIndex] AS C2, [T2].[InterfaceName] AS C3, [T3].[RemoteSystemName] AS C4

FROM [SolarwindsOrion].[dbo].[NodeLldpEntries] AS T3

INNER JOIN [SolarwindsOrion].[dbo].[Nodes] AS T1 ON ([T3].[NodeID] = [T1].[NodeID])

INNER JOIN [SolarwindsOrion].[dbo].[Nodes] AS T6 ON ([T3].[RemoteSystemName] = [T6].[SysName])

INNER JOIN [ConfigMgmt].[dbo].[Nodes] AS T7 ON ([T7].[CoreNodeID] = [T1].[NodeID])

INNER JOIN [ConfigMgmt].[dbo].[Interfaces] AS T8 ON (([T8].[InterfaceIndex] = [T3].[LocalPortNumber]) AND ([T8].[NodeID] = [T7].[NodeID]))

INNER JOIN [ConfigMgmt].[dbo].[Interfaces] AS T2 ON (([T8].[MACAddress] = [T2].[MACAddress]) AND ([T2].[PhysicalInterface] = N'Y'))

LEFT JOIN [SolarwindsOrion].[dbo].[Interfaces] AS T4 ON (([T4].[InterfaceIndex] = [T3].[LocalPortNumber]) AND ([T4].[NodeID] = [T3].[NodeID]))

LEFT JOIN [SolarwindsOrion].[dbo].[Interfaces] AS T5 ON (([T5].[InterfaceIndex] = [T2].[InterfaceIndex]) AND ([T5].[NodeID] = [T3].[NodeID]))

WHERE (((([T4].[InterfaceID] IS NULL) AND ([T5].[InterfaceIndex] IS NULL)) AND ([T1].[Caption] NOT LIKE N'%@%')) AND ([T3].[LocalPortNumber] <> 0))

madhavan

Hi,

In NCM 7.2 version, there are two different databases. One for Orion and other for Cirrus and this query uses tables from both the databases. SWIS has its own schema and knows how to handle these tables. In your case both the database are in the same server, but there are clients who have these databases in different servers and that's the reason SWIS is handing the query data in memory. There will be a performance impact to do in memory operation based on the query and data.

In NCM 7.3, these two databases are merged into one and so you will not face this kind of in memory operation. I would suggest you to upgrade to NCM 7.3 which is available now.

The query in the log file is the query formed by swis before in memory operation and that is not the query executed against the sql server.

Also, does the sql query and the swql query behaves differently in terms of data returned? or do you experience any other exception like memory or timeout?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              RichardLetts

the SWQL doesn't return any data -- it times out.

And, now I look at that it's executing on the SQL server I can see why: it's decomposing the query into individual table select's; this is probably never going to work -- a simplistic in memory join of cirrus.interfaces with cirrus.interfaces on MAC address will generate 57 million rows instead of the ~18,000 rows if you only consider ones which are in the LLDP table.

will wait until NCM7.3 is deployed and recheck this is sane.