This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How can I force WSUS clients to install only the newest update package of 3rd party updates (Java 7)?

Hi,

On my test clients I recognized, that Java was uninstalled automatically. How can this occur? Wether a manually uninstall were done nor something else.

The Windows Update Log/List in the GUI (in german: Updateverlauf) say that yesterday the install of the new package (jre7u60) failed. After I ran Windows Update manually the log says jre7u55 were installed successfully and after that jre7u60 were installed successfully. Now Java is ok.

Can I force WSUS Clients to install the newest update? I can't expire the package, because the jre7u55 package is approved to WSUS groups "Clients" and "Test" and now the jre7u60 package is approved to "Test" also.

Or is all I have to do  is remove approvement of jre7u55 to "Test"? (Choose "approve", select "not approved" for "Test" and "Finish" at the Patch Manager Console)

I believe, sometimes I miss some wsus basics.

• The Windows Update Log/List in the GUI (in german: Updateverlauf) say that yesterday the install of the new package (jre7u60) failed. After I ran Windows Update manually the log says jre7u55 were installed successfully and after that jre7u60 were installed successfully.

My guess would be that you customized the JRE7u60 package (for the German language requirements) and failed to update the superseded update references to the German language instance of JRE7u55.

This was further complicated by maintaining active approvals on legacy updates.

Can I force WSUS Clients to install the newest update?

By default, the WUA will only install the newest approved update -- provided that update properly identifies the updates it supersedes.

Or is all I have to do  is remove approvement of jre7u55 to "Test"?

That'll work too.

I believe, sometimes I miss some wsus basics.

:-)

• Yes I've customized the package. I duplicated it but only added a command line parameter to the duplicated package. Does "duplicating" mean, that i get a new package which i have to add as superseeded in the next versions package? So it would be better to change de original solarwinds package instead of copy and customize?

Next week I will check if Patch Manager Console shows the new package as superseeding.

• Does "duplicating" mean, that i get a new package which i have to add as superseeded in the next versions package?

Yes. So the follow-on conclusion is that if you customized JRE7u55, then the original (SolarWinds-provided) JRE7u60 no longer has the correct supersession information, and that needs to be updated as well.

So it would be better to change de original solarwinds package instead of copy and customize?

No. Duplicate-and-customize is the recommended practice. You just need to be sure to update all of the relevant fields. If you don't duplicate the package,  your customizations will be overwritten during the next catalog synchronization.

Next week I will check if Patch Manager Console shows the new package as superseeding.

Or you could just open the package in the Package Editor, navigation to Advanced -> Superseded Updates, and check the listed UpdateIDs.

6-6-2014 7-53-32 AM.png