3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2016 4:30 PM by sans

Is there a way to monitor CD rom drive usage?

jcrowley

Is there a way to monitor/notification of CD rom drive usage?    So far I can not figure out a way.  There are no services that I can think of to monitor.   Any ideas would be helpful.  Thank you.

• Re: Is there a way to monitor CD rom drive usage?
          curtisi

I guess if the FAA is still using 7 inch floppy disks, someone is still using CD-ROMs, but doe the life of me I can't find an actual CD with content anywhere to test with!

So I mounted my smart-phone, which briefly emulates a CD-ROM to install some auto-run stuff.

It looks like you might be able to monitor for the ProcessStart of WPDShextAutoplay.exe.  It's that thing that Windows throws up when you insert a disk, "What do you want to do with this?"  Of course, that's not going to be 100% reliable, since you can turn that dialogue off.

If you know that all the CD-ROMs in your environment are going to share a drive-letter, like "D:" you might be able to do ObjectAuditing on that drive and look for "Object open" from that drive?

Update: One of my colleagues, Tim, has solved part of this and wrote it up:

Audit files being written to a CD/DVD in Windows 7 using "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\" (also contains the "Temporary Burn Folder" sub-directory).

Audit files being written to a CD/DVD in Windows XP using "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning\".
            (This directory will contain a binary file "Cd burning stash file.bin", used in the writing process.)

1- Open Windows explorer and navigate to the folder.
            2- Right-click and select properties.
            3- Select the Security tab and select Advanced button.
            4- Select the Auditing tab, and uncheck the "Include inheritable auditing entries from this object's parent".
            5- Select (check) the "Replace all existing inheritable auditing entries on akll descendents with inheritable auditing entries from this object".
            6- Select the Add button to add the everyone user, and check the full control for success and failure, to enable all auditing of this fiolder.
            7- Select OK three times to close this window.
            8- A file auditing filter in the Trigeo Sim-Console should see the files being written to the CD.

1 of 1 people found this helpful