This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Is there a way to monitor CD rom drive usage?

Is there a way to monitor/notification of CD rom drive usage?    So far I can not figure out a way.  There are no services that I can think of to monitor.   Any ideas would be helpful.  Thank you.

• I guess if the FAA is still using 7 inch floppy disks, someone is still using CD-ROMs, but doe the life of me I can't find an actual CD with content anywhere to test with!

So I mounted my smart-phone, which briefly emulates a CD-ROM to install some auto-run stuff.

It looks like you might be able to monitor for the ProcessStart of WPDShextAutoplay.exe.  It's that thing that Windows throws up when you insert a disk, "What do you want to do with this?"  Of course, that's not going to be 100% reliable, since you can turn that dialogue off.

If you know that all the CD-ROMs in your environment are going to share a drive-letter, like "D:" you might be able to do ObjectAuditing on that drive and look for "Object open" from that drive?

Update: One of my colleagues, Tim, has solved part of this and wrote it up:

Audit files being written to a CD/DVD in Windows 7 using "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\" (also contains the "Temporary Burn Folder" sub-directory).

Audit files being written to a CD/DVD in Windows XP using "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning\".
      (This directory will contain a binary file "Cd burning stash file.bin", used in the writing process.)

1- Open Windows explorer and navigate to the folder.
      2- Right-click and select properties.
      3- Select the Security tab and select Advanced button.
      4- Select the Auditing tab, and uncheck the "Include inheritable auditing entries from this object's parent".
      5- Select (check) the "Replace all existing inheritable auditing entries on akll descendents with inheritable auditing entries from this object".
      6- Select the Add button to add the everyone user, and check the full control for success and failure, to enable all auditing of this fiolder.
      7- Select OK three times to close this window.
      8- A file auditing filter in the Trigeo Sim-Console should see the files being written to the CD.

• Thank you, I'll give it a spin.

• I see what you did there.