This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Why do I have to open a ticket every single time I update this product?

WHY?

We use about six of Solarwinds products in Orion.  Sure when I open a ticket the guys are helpful and its resolved quickly.  But dammit we paid about $70K for this with enough licenses for our enterprise.

I installed the NPM 10.7 tonight and sure enough it broke something.  In this case Netflow.  Now Ive got four or five more updates to run until we're fully patched up and I guarantee something else will bomb out during the install and I'll have to open another ticket.

I am sick of this crap!  We're paying you too much for you to be half-assing this!

• Hi Craig,

I've sent this to our Product Management team and they should be in contact with you shortly.

Thank you,

Danielle

• Do you remember to run the configuration wizard? That's the part I always forget and nothing works until after I do that

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

I can sympathize. I cringe every time I have to do an upgrade. It rarely goes smoothly and I also sometimes have to open a support ticket to get it fixed.

It has been getting better lately though.

• I have the same issue.  We own six different modules and every time I upgrade something breaks.  I try to use the installation guide but its very complex and in many cases not updated.  What I've decided to do, and I hope it helps, is to begin a process of only updating one module at a time.  This coming week I am upgrading SAM.  The following week NCM.  That should get up up to date without having to spend all day upgrading, patching, and calling support.  I hope.  Good luck with your situation.

Jim

• I have little or no trouble. In all fairness, we ONLY have IPAM and NPM though. whenever I upgrade one,  I

• Backup the DB
    • Install update / product
    • Run config wizard
    • Login and configure any new products
  • 6-8 modules here and generally all goes smoothly on upgrades. Sometimes the configuration wizard needs a jumpstart - I find launching the trap/alert manager etc runs it if it had not yet or I can manually run it.

That said it is a lot of moving parts and mileage will definitely vary...

• I rarely have issues, and we have 6 module, but I keep them up-to-date so I never upgrade more than one at a time.  My main issue is usually related to using SSL on the website.  I also redirect any http to https, and during the configuration wizard, it shuts down the http site.  The wizard will then fail at the end because of that, but if I catch it in time, I can just start the site up during the optimization part.

I upgraded to NPM 11 RC last night, and everything seems fine.  Our DB is about 15 GB, so that could have something to do with it too.

• I do the same as you. I only perform an upgrade to 1 module in a week/night.  This way I have time to work with support if the upgrade fails or blows up the environment. 

I have noticed that 9 times out of 10 when an upgrade fails it is due to either table corruption in the db or one of our custom indexes couldn't be dropped by the upgrade.  Makes for a long night at times, but I have had several upgrades go through successfully with no issues.