7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2014 9:09 AM by hexnut

Multiple Drivespace monitors per disk?

hexnut

In ipMonitor 10.0, Is it possible to set 2 drivespace alerts per disk, one for low and another for critical where only the critical alert will send a text message?

• Re: Multiple Drivespace monitors per disk?
          macnugetz

Can you elaborate on exactly what you're trying to do?  More specifically, what do you want the alert action to be for 'low?'

hexnut

Hi Macnugetz,

I'm ok with no action for low diskspace as I will generally catch them via the WebUI which I check daily, Although, I may want to set up email alerts eventually.

My main objective is to avoid the 2 AM (for example) text pages.  If I can see the disk space is low during business hours, I can mitigate the off hours critical alerts.

My initial idea is to set one low (diskspace at 10%) monitor for C: drive and another critical (diskspace at 5%) monitor for C$ share which will send a text alert.

With IPMonitor already running on many servers, I'm asking for assistance here to see if there is a better way to achieve this objective.

Thanks for the reply!

Hexnut

Fodome

Hello Hexnut,

The idea to have 2 drive space monitors (one for 10% free space and another for 5% free space) would be required if you want to get an email at 10% free space and an SMS text at 5% free space.   On the other hand, if you are simply trying to avoid the text pages at 2 AM, simply set the schedule of the text page Action to only trigger during business hours.  See http://support.ipmonitor.com/helps/d8fa6b8474f0434baa35c01e85799a0f.aspx

It should be mentionned that our higher-end monitoring solution, Server and Application Monitor, is much more flexible and allows you to set Warn and Critical thresholds within one Monitor.

Hope this helps.

Chris Foley

hexnut

Hi Chris,

I am interested in 2 drive space monitors per disk as you mentioned.  I find that scanning my network in may cases yields a single monitor per disk.

Is there a good way to efficiently scan a network for drives and shares where the output would include both drives (ie; C:\) and shares (ie; C$)?

We are a 24 x 7 operation and as such, I need to allow alerts always.

I would like to use IPMonitor if possible to achieve this goal.

Many Thanks!

Hexnut

Fodome

Hi Hexnut,

The drive label "c:\" normally means the drive is being monitored using SNMP or WMI whereas "C$" means the drive is being monitored via RPC.

Having that said, you could create the Drive Space monitors in two sweeps but that is overcomplicating things for nothing.  I would simply go into the Device, select all the drives and click the option to Clone them.  You can then rename the clones to whatever you like and set the Free Space threshold lower.

Hopefully this makes things a little easier.

Sincerely,

Chris Foley