4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2017 8:21 AM by bslobodn

BGP Neighbor Status Alerts

rafaelz5

How do I create a Route Neighbor Status change email alert? I am setting this up with Property to Monitor: Routing Neighbors. However, I am not sure what Property to use (Neighbor ID, Neighbor IP, Orion Status, Is Missing, DisplayName, Protocol ID), with the condition has changed.

Then to monitor all devices, will I select Node Name contains * to select all nodes?

For the Trigger Actions email alert, what variable should I use? I am thinking: ${NodeName} neighbor ${NeighborIP} changed to ${Variable_for_Neighbor_State property that will indicate State, e.g. Full, Established, etc} I am not sure what is the correct variable for the Neighbor State.

• Re: BGP Neighbor Status Alerts
          JiriPsota

"Has Changed" can be used only for property LastBoot, IOSVersion, IOSImageFamily when you trigger on Nodes.

Check how the existing "Alert me when a neighbor goes down" alert is configured and which properties are used in trigger action message.

rafaelz5

JiriPsota I need help in understanding what Property to use to check the BGP state. Here are the available options:

neighbornodes.png

From the Node > Network tab, you can see the BGP status. What would be the variable that corresponds to the BGP Status (Established, etc)?

RoutingNeighborStatus.JPG

Reset condition will be if BGP Status returned to Established.

JiriPsota

JiriPsota

We map Neighbor statuses to Orion statuses. For BGP protocol: Established is mapped to Orion Status Up (1), other neighbor statuses are mapped to Orion Status Down (2).

The property "Is Missing" is set to Yes when the neighbor is not reported from router anymore.

So existing "Alert me when a neighbor goes down" is triggered when (the neighbor status <> Established or neighbor is not reported).

If you would like to see Neighbor status (idle, connect, active, opensent, openconfirm, established) in alert message use ${DisplayName} macro.

bslobodn

If the BGP neighbor IP address also happens to be associated with a device that is also monitored in NPM, is there a way to map the IP address to the device itself in the alert?  

We have a couple GRE tunnels in place to use as backup connections from our main site to remote sites.  I would love to be able to distinquish within the alert if the nieghbor IP is one of ours.  So is there a way to map neighbor IP to NodeName or Interfacename?