4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2014 7:36 AM by bkao

A universal means to turn off Windows Update/ CachedAUOptions

bkao

hi

thanks for the posting

Configuring the Windows Update Agent - General Settings Part 1

as well as similar

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/65506db3-656f-43e3-a9f1-0621fce58ba0/windows-updateswsus-and-group-policies?forum=winserverwsus

Still I have two questions

Q1. Is there a way to permanently programmatically disable any users ( by means of policy and registry)   disallow any end users to download/detect/install any MS-updates? Will "Turn off access to all Windows Update features" always able to block in all OS?

Q2. I am not able to find much info about CacheAUOptions at all anywhere. I suspect this is new in 8.0/8.1 and may override any values that I may write to AU's registry settings. Any comment/experience/pointer will help.

Thanks

Ben

• Re: A universal means to turn off Windows Update/ CachedAUOptions
          Lawrence Garvin

Q1. Is there a way to permanently programmatically disable any users ( by means of policy and registry)   disallow any end users to download/detect/install any MSupdates? Will "Turn off access to all Windows Update features" always able to block in all OS?

Yes. This option (and its predecessors) is discussed in the companion article:

Configuring the Windows Update Agent - General Settings Part 2

Q2. I am not able to find much info about CacheAUOptions at all anywhere. I suspect this is new in 8.0/8.1 and may override any values that I may write to AU's registry settings. Any comment/experience/pointer will help.

I know nothing about this either, so I would suspect it's new also. Unfortunately, of late, the WUA team seems to be not very fond of documenting their changes or "enhancements" and most have been discovered the hard way.

However, if you can point me to where you've encountered this, I might be able to get some additional information.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              bkao

Thanks for the pointer! I agree that there is lack of documentation from MSDN too.

I have been configure/enable/disable the "Turn off access to all Windows Update features". Two observations/questions

Ob1.  Is the wuauserv meant to be affected by ? Would wuauserv be shutdown/killed? I would expect not but our experiments on different Windows boxes seem to be inconclusive.

Ob2. Is it "safe" to change the registry settings of DisableWindowsUpdateAccess  , i.e. not via gpedit?

I have to do more experiment on AUoption and CachedAUOption myself to ask you more too

Thanks

Lawrence Garvin
                  Ob1.  Is the wuauserv meant to be affected by ?

As far as I know the service is not affected by changing this value. The service is, however, policy aware, so if the value is changed via the policy and the service does require a restart (I'm not aware of any configuration change that requires a restart of the service) it would be capable of restarting itself, as needed. If the value is changed via the registry, then the service must be manually restarted, as the registry values are only read at service startup. If the values are changed via policy, the service makes the change effective immediately.

Ob2. Is it "safe" to change the registry settings of DisableWindowsUpdateAccess  , i.e. not via gpedit?

Yes, it is safe, but as noted changing the registry directly requires a manual service restart before the change will take effect.