This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Aruba Wireless Access Point support

I've discovered that Aruba WAP support is quite broken:

SELECT  min(id),max(id),count(*) FROM [dbo].[Wireless_AccessPoints]

MinMaxCount

We've never had fifteen and a half million different wireless access points on campus (the 9206 is about right)

What I think is happening is when we reboot a controller all of the AP failover to their backup, and NPM deletes them from the database. So each time we distribute a software upgrade to our controllers we end up with about 18,000 new rows being added and removed from the database, along with all of the history. Each time a controller is rebooted, there goes another couple of thousand rows (and all the history)

anyone else noticed this? any suggestions on stopping this behavior?

• How it works:

APs are polled from Controller. In case the AP is monitored with NPM, but is not in the results from the last poll, AP is removed from NPM. When it appears later it's added again as a new row in Wireless_AccessPoints table.

So when you reboot controller it looks like it takes some time then it starts to send APs in polled results again. So we remove all APs and later add them again.

What you can do here:

1. each time you will distribute a software upgrade to our controllers you should Unmanage Controllers in NPM and Remanage after controller is rebooted and is up and running

or

2. edit config file SolarWinds.Wireless.Collector.dll in C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\Wireless and change the value for RemoveDisappearedAps to False. Restart services.

Now APs will be only marked as Disappeared and Up when they come back later.

• Thanks for the reply --

1. We have over 9000 WAPs and 30 controllers; unmanaging doesn't work as that stops statistics collection.

2. I can apply this option temporarily but how to I now remove the APs?

The AP hasn't disappeared, it's just seamlessly migrated to its backup controller -- the users probably won't even have noticed their traffic glitched.

Now I seem to have started getting the same AP in the table twice:

SELECT name,ipaddress,count(*)  FROM [dbo].[Wireless_AccessPoints]

group by name,ipaddress

having count(*)>1

HMC.6.1172.20.x.y2
    HMC.6.2172.20.x.z2
  • It works exactly how it was designed.

There are only two options:

1. remove disappeared APs from database (disappeared from NPM point of view mean-the AP is not in results polled from controller)

2. don't remove disappeared APs

There is no way how to remove the APs on UI. You can change the key in config file back to True and they will be removed with next poll.

Anyway there is always a way how to make the feature better, so if you have some ideas please create a feature request.

Thanks

• 1. Integrate with Airwave:     http://thwack.solarwinds.com/ideas/2689

2. Support to manage APS through the webUI:     http://thwack.solarwinds.com/ideas/3472

[wow, It seems I've made over 30 Idea suggestions using your idea tool]