7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2014 11:08 AM by dpayne

Problem Monitoring a Metaswitch Voice Router

D.Farrington

NPM version 10.4.2

Tried adding it to NPM but the credentials keep failing and I have verified that they are correct.

Any one else had this problem or using this device in their network and has it being monitored ?

Can see the credentials using the Engineer Toolset Sweep tool, however cant add the device in NPM.

• Re: Problem Monitoring a Metaswitch Voice Router
          sja

Hi

I will try to config new or extra Community String: to the metaswitch box.

I will cheack that there isn't any snmp access list or FW  that not include your NPM IP address.

and if all that is not working call solarwinds support.

/SJA

dpayne

If you are referencing the Perimeta then you are not at fault. I am attempting to input the SBC in and having nothing but issues, like this uploading MIBs via a ticket and waiting a couple of weeks... .. . But in short, the Perimeta only supports what is in the Perimata.mib and alarms.mib. There is no support for V2 generic chassis info from the Perimeta. So if you are where i think you are and attempting to "test" the SNMPv2 in the node, then this is the case. As it stands now, I can only monitor basic ICMP with Solarwinds... I am working on getting MIBs uploaded because it appears what is in the Solarwinds MIB is not quite right as there are Perimeta MIBsmissing and what is included in the Solarwinds MIBsare not working.

mharvey

Having MIBs added to SolarWinds isn't going to change the issue if the device doesn't support the mib-2 OIDs that SolarWinds uses for discovery and validation.  Adding MIBs doesn't change the way SolarWinds polls a device or tries to validate SNMP.  Another option might be attempting to use SNMPv1 in SolarWinds.  This changes how SolarWinds tries to validate in terms of the get type used for MIBs, but not the MIBs used to poll.  If it still fails, then the issue is due to the device not support the MIBs SolarWinds uses. The only option at that point would be to open a feature request with SolarWinds asking for support of these devices be added.  I'd also recommend using the snmpwalk.exe tool on the SolarWinds server (inside the Orion install directory) to be able to provide them a walk of the MIBs that are supported. This may be something that they try to add to a future release.

sja

Telcos.....

I saw that problem before with other telco vendor that "outsource" chassis develpment to 3 party.

So you have 2 set SNMP mib on the Router/Switch. and no mib II ...

What about SNMP TRAP ?

dpayne

So in more and more attempts to get it working, I have found even though the "test" OID sent when setting up the node is failing, continuing to add the node in works, for the most part. In the Universal device poller I can now (with the updated MIBs in the DB now) start to monitor stats. The issue I am having now is that I cannot use the table I want to monitor. I flow thru the MIB tree and locate the table/OID I want to configure, and then select it... it then asks me to select a column (but there is nothing in the drop down box). I can test this OID and it will return values, but I cannot add it as continues to ask for a column, even if I manually enter the OID rather than browsing the MIB tree. I've tried many things all to no avail, but I just read about the snmpwalk.exe and saw it in your post, so I will see what fruit it shall yield.