4 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2014 7:14 AM by kaushikpathak

fault tolerant setup for STM

kaushikpathak

We have a large setup for STM having 3000+ disks based arrays, some 2500+ VM infrastructure monitoring. We are looking for a fault tolerant setup of STM itself so that in any case of disaster for the monitoring subsystem the monitoring and alerting setup remains available. Looking for any documentation for fault tolerant / cluster / active-passive setup of STM server as well as some redundancy for agents so that in case on any node failure the STM application and data collection and alerting remain available and working. Is there anything like this available?

• Re: fault tolerant setup for STM
          squinsey

+1 for that. Although we don't have such a large amount of disks managed, there has been the question from management raised about redundancy for STM whilst we work on our platform upgrade soon.

dsbalcau - Anything about a FOE or something for STM

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            dalelsw

I agree. Given that STM is used to monitor/profile some considerable enterprise environments, it would make sense that STM is capable of an equivalent level of High Availability (HA).

Some options outside of STM providing the HA itself would be to use a VM in a management cell/cluster with DR fail-over via something like SRM. Alternatives could include a cold-standby based on frequent backups or MySQL replication. IP address failover would also need to be accounted for (either by maunual/automated address failover, or smarter agents).

However, those options all work around STM. It would be good for STM to be self sufficient in a HA capacity, or at least have a Solarwinds supported "best practice" HA how-to guide.

Here is a Feature Request for this (via Thwack): FEATURE REQUEST - Failover operation of STM server

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                kaushikpathak

Thanks, as STM license is node based, will it allow to license STM in a two node Windows cluster environment? I see the license as "1 License for XXXX disk" like this,

kaushikpathak

Hi Guys, looking for any other options as i believe STM server setup in Windows Failover Cluster is not supported. Can we create a dumb / standby server prepared with STM and periodically backup DB into this server. When the active STM server is down for any hardware or software fault we can quickly copy the database in proper folder and change the IP of the standy server to the one active STM server was using and start the STM services. Hope this setup will give us minimum downtime. Please share your ideas on this. I think there will be license related issues, but lets hear from everyone.