4 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2014 4:55 AM by olha.zelena

Auto acknowledge alerts when host recovers

karlwyatt

Is there a way to automatically acknowledge alerts from alert central when a node recovers? We use NPM, sometime an administrator from another group might reboot a server. I will continue to get alert after alert after alert that an interface went down on one of my switches, even though the node recovered.

• Re: Auto acknowledge alerts when host recovers
          olha.zelena

Unfortunately, for now there's no such mechanism. Alerts won't be acknowledged automatically when alert is not longer valid / active

ouberlord

I may be misunderstanding the problem, mainly in clearing an alert versus acknowledging it, but have you looked at the "Reset Condition" tab for the alert in question?  If the alert is cleared (the server comes back online, thus the switch interface shows as good once again) you shouldn't continue to get alert after alert.  If you are, I would first look to that tab to see if the logic there meeting what you intend, or set it to "Reset when the trigger conditions are no longer true".

Beyond that, there's no way to have an action to acknowledge an alert; you only have control over what makes it active/inactive through the logic in the "Trigger Condition" and "Reset Condition" tabs.

EDIT: I just realized this is in regards to alerts after they have been passed to Alert Central, which throws most of what I said out the window.

jlabomb

It would be great to be able to do this. I have been looking into it and can not find a solution. The best I can think of is to have Orion send an ACK message to the Alert Central E-mail account when the alert is reset. The e-mail just needs to have the NID number from the subject of the alert followed by ack. I have tested sending that message myself and it works to acknowledge it. The only problem I have is knowing where that NID number comes from and how to have Orion place it in a e-mail using a variable. If we can figure that out it will work.

NID[12606] ack

olha.zelena

NID is generated on AC side and assigned to every alert to distinguish if from other ones. NID is needed to process replies (ack, close, refuse) sent via emails, to know which alert this command should be applied to. In case you get email about ''Node is down NID[2222]', then all the commands are sent to AC should contain this NID[2222] for AC to be able to process the command.