3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2014 11:10 AM by Lawrence Garvin

Java Update 55 gives us virus allerts

kimmol

After the new Java update 55 started to install our anti-virus program (F-Secure) gives very strange error messages about packageboot.exefs_block_packageboot.exe.PNG

There comes several similar messages and it seems that packageboot.exe is scanning all the files in f-secure folder, I hope it does not want to chage something.This does not happen with every computer. I tested the installation on my virtual computer before we released this update.

Our regular Patch Manager expert is on holiday.

• Re: Java Update 55 gives us virus allerts
          Lawrence Garvin

(F-Secure) gives very strange error messages about packageboot.exe

Yeah... that's entirely possible. Because of the nature of the Java update installation it is necessary to terminate several Java related processes, so it's not unusual that a service monitor would trigger that kind of alert

However I think it's mistaken when it claims PackageBoot is trying to manipulate the F-Secure executable.... fsdevcon64.exe.

You need to trust packageboot.exe. Problem solved. :-)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              kimmol

Thank you for your comment, it did easier our mind a little. I must say we are still wondering as this happened (so far) only with quite small number of machines. Also it is quite strange that PackageBoot scans all the files in the F-Secure folder even though they are not running.

A different thing happened with my test machine. I have one Java application running all the time and your Java Update package did not notice it. Oracle package noticed and warned me.

Lawrence Garvin

Also it is quite strange that PackageBoot scans all the files in the F-Secure folder even though they are not running.

Unless the package has been customized, I'm not aware of any reason that PackageBoot would be scanning any folders other than those explicitly listed in the package rule.

The exception could be that if F-Secure has a dependency on the JRE, and we killed off the JRE, the F-Secure process may have taken that personally.

Otherwise, I'd suggest inquiring with F-Secure as to what that message is driven by and why it would claim something was scanning, when it's not.

I have one Java application running all the time and your Java Update package did not notice it.

This is correct. The JRE update package only scans for the JRE files that are likely to be impacted directly by the update.

The package does not scan for any Java-based applications that are dependent upon the JRE.

If you have such applications that would be adversely affected by terminating/updating the JRE, you should customize the JRE update package to also terminate those processes.