5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2014 11:14 AM by warren.dilger

Can IPAM Perform Dynamic DNS Updates?

jmoore2

Does anyone know if it is possible to have IPAM update DNS entries automatically for the "Hostname" column? IPAM would need to talk with the DNS server and register the pointer record.

• Re: Can IPAM Perform Dynamic DNS Updates?
          warren.dilger

While I don,t have an answer, I want to comment to move it to recent activity to get attention. I am wondering the same thing. However, I am seeing a report from Gartner linked in another post, claiming that SolarWinds is IPAM only, not DDI, ot DNS, DHCP and IPAM integrated, has there been any changes? You can find it here

michal.hrncirik

DDI is a marketing term and specially Garner take it to stamp a product that offer A) DNS service, B) DHCP service C) IP Address Management. However it doesn't say anything about integration of all these services. Look at Microsoft Windows server as example. They had Windows Server with DHCP and DNS services for years and just recently (v2012) added IPAM. The integration between their IPAM and DNS/DHCP services is actually quite poor and you have to use old DHCP/DNS msc console to setup what you need.

What our IPAM focuses at is integration of IP address management and DHCP/DNS services provided by most popular 3rd party vendors. There is no reason to build new DHCP/DNS because the current ones work well enough and if you take a look at Infoblox or Bluecat, they've used ISC/BIND core for their own implementation anyway.

Our IPAM integrates with features of 3rd party DNS/DHCP and let you control that in our centralized IP address management console. If you want to reserve IP address, IPAM set reservation on DHCP and create DNS record on DNS server in one step without going/connecting to these servers. The same works vice versa, if there is a change on DHCP/DNS server (Microsoft, Cisco, BIND, ISC) IPAM synchronizes the changes and show you the data on the web.

michal.hrncirik

Hi,

our IPAM does both-way sync with Microsoft DNS and BIND DNS servers. If you change the record on the server or in the IPAM the information will be synchronized and you'll see latest/actual DNS records in the zone on IPAM server.

warren.dilger

Following back up on this discussion, there seems to be a flaw in this design. As a network engineer, I cannot say I have regular access to system credentials. While other products are completing DNS resolution using SNMP and NSLookup, Solarwinds requires credentials at the administrator level. Why can SolarWinds not perform resolution based on NSlookup (which updates dynamically as well) when other products can? As for your comment regarding the use of terms such as DDI, I clearly noted that Gartner used that term, and I also explained its meaning and linked to the report.