10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2014 4:33 AM by stuartwhyte

What module is responsible? NPM or NTA?

sgenius

Hi Guys,

I have an issue that I do not know what to do.

After succesfully adding nodes on NPM and NTA and observed that they are all working fine, I began to notice that over time, new nodes that I added do not give me enough information like the previous ones.

This is what I mean.

On adding a new node on NPM and NTA, all I can get are the following: Node Details, and Polling Details. Even all the properties in the Node Details are incomplete; like Last Boot, IOS Image, and No of CPUs.

What I see in Last Boot is "01 January 0001 00:00"

Also, for the interfaces that I want monitored, all I get is their status; no traffic (transmit or receive) information whatsoever. Is it that I have ran out of NTA license?

So, asides what I aforementioned, I do not get any information again about the node. Whether Availability Statistics, Active Alerts, Top XX Conversations, Event Summary, Total CPUs by Percent Load,

Network Latency and Packet Loss, Average Response Time and Packet Loss, etc. I just do not get any information again.

Please I need help seriously.

Regards,

David.

• Re: What module is responsible? NPM or NTA?
          Craig Norborg

Think of NPM as the main software and NTA as an add-on to it.   NPM does pretty much all of the polling of Cisco devices, or other SNMP devices (ie: not Windows servers).   NTA mainly listens to Netflow data that is sent out from the devices.   NPM will also listen to things like SNMP traps.

Most of the information you were asking about was stuff that was polled via SNMP, except for "Top XX Conversations" which is information that the devices sends to NTA.

If you're wondering about whether you have exceeded your licensing limits, go to "Settings" and down in the bottom left-hand corner you'll see "License Details".   For each product you have, you will see the licensing status here.   It should tell you things like "Nodes currently monitored" and "Total nodes in license".  For NTA I don't believe you can purchase NTA if it doesn't match your NPM licensing these days, so if your NPM license is good, I think your NTA license is also.

Hopefully this helps a bit...  I don't work for Solarwinds, so I could be off on some of this...

sgenius

Hi Craig,

First, I like to thank you for responding.

However, I tried checking the license details of NPM and NTA in my work environmnent. Please see the screen shots below.

NPM_license_Page.PNG

NTA_license_page.PNG

From the above, I cannot suppose that the NPM license is finished but what I do not know is that of NTA. How many NTA licenses do I have left? I don't know.

This is where I need assistance. Something is wrong somewhere. Why would Solarwinds (NPM and NTA) just stop to spool the information that it used to, about a network device?

Please help.

Regards,

David.

stuartwhyte

cnorborg is correct -  your NTA license will match that of NPM, it is the only module that is not licensed separately.

From your description above, it appears that the devices are not being polled by SNMP - does an SNMP test work for you?

Stuart

sgenius

Hi Craig,

The devices are being polled by SNMPv3.

Except there's some kind of SNMP test that I do not know of; please share it with me.

However, from your explanation, would I be correct to say that I still have NTA licenses?

Because, as you can observe from my screen shots, it is obvious, logical and easy to keep track of NPM licenses; that of NTA is the issue.

Honestly, I do not know what to do.

David.

wiszm23

Go to manage nodes and Edit Properties of that device, there you will find the SNMP configuration.  Under the configuration you will see a 'Test' button.  If you devices are configured correctly and your settings here match it will come back with a "Test Successful!'  If that passes you should be seeing what you are looking for..

stuartwhyte

Yes, you still have NTA licenses due to having remaining NPM licenses.

when you added the node there would have been a test button.  You can also click the edit node link & test from there.  I would say it is unlikely that SNMP is functioning correctly with the results you have described.

For further info - NPM is responsible for all the polling.  NTA only listens for glows that are sent to it from the end devices.

sgenius

Hi Wiszm23 and Stuartwhyte,

Thanks for responding.

Wiszm23, your advice is exactly what I do whenever I want to add a node initially.

If the test is not successful, nodes cannot be added to NPM. The network devices in my work environment are all Cisco; so as usual, I create an snmp user in the config file of the devices before conducting the SNMP test as you advised, and it works well.

So, basically, SNMP is working fine and functioning correctly. Yet, I'm still having the issues I explained in my original post.

Right now, I'm stucked.