3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2014 9:31 AM by Leon Adato

SNMP with multiple NICs

terryhallal

I have a server with 2 NICs. One is being polled by solarwinds, the other will be polled by an SNMP agent on a load balancer. However, since installing and configuring SNMP, only the NIC used for solarwinds polling works. The other NIC says it cannot find any of the OIDs for memory or CPU. This is Server 2k8 R2. Can SNMP only handle one NIC at a time? Is there a way for an OID to be located by both NICs? The OID in question is the standard hrProcessorLoad .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.3.3.1.2. Any ideas or suggestions?

• Re: SNMP with multiple NICs
          Leon Adato

I'm not sure how you want the second NIC to show up - do you want to see it as part of the Node Details page for the server (why not just add it in "List Resources" like you did the first one?). Do you want it to show up as a NIC on the load balancer (why would you want that?). And also, why are you monitoring the second NIC from the load balancer? What does monitoring it from that location get you?

terryhallal

I'm just asking a general SNMP question. I am monitoring this server using Solarwinds, and it is polling on one of the NICs. The other NIC is accepting web requests via an F5 load balancer. My concern is that snmp traffic from both solarwinds and f5 are successful to one NIC, the other receives the packets but never sends out a response. Does anyone know if SNMP has a 1 NIC limit? Does windows have a 1 NIC SNMP limit? Is solarwinds somehow locking down hrProcessorLoad .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.3.3.1.2 and no other source has the ability to reach it?

I know this can't be a solarwinds problem, but I figured since it relies heavily on SNMP, someone here might be able to point me in the right direction. This site has been an excellent source for SAM and NPM knowledge. Thank you again for your response.

Leon Adato

If I understand correctly, then the answer is "yes" and "no"

Yes in that Solarwinds only polls for SNMP data through the ONE Ip address you give it - consider that the "management interface". You will get data ABOUT the other interface - bandwidth, up/down, etc - but it will be provided by the main SNMP agent on the box and it will be sent to Solarwinds via the management interface.

NO, in that you can choose to monitor a server twice if you want. Once via the first IP, and again via the second. There are reasons to do that or not do that.

My experience over the last 12 years or so is that this is rarely (if ever) needed. I have never needed to know if SNMP is moving THROUGH an interface. It was enough to know the interface statistics by monitoring via a standard IP address.