8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2014 3:51 AM by stuart.nathaniel@communisis.com

LEM Console or Web Portal?

stuart.nathaniel@communisis.com

As a relatively new user of LEM, I decided to spin up a VM to run the LEM console - thus doing away with the need to open and close the console and lose the visibility of the data shown in the widgets for the hours I'm not in the office (as it was running on my laptop before). The VM is running 4 cores and 8GB ram. It's sole purpose is to run the LEM console and nobody else accesses it but me. For the past 2 days, I've closed the RDP session to the VM leaving the console running and when I've come in the next morning, re-established connection to the VM instead of seeing the LEM console OPS centre screen with data in the widgets, I just see a grey background. When I click on the LEM console background I get a program is not responding message and as a result I have to close it, re-open it and then I loose visibility of the data in the widgets.

So - is it best to run the console all the time like this? Would it be better to run the web portal? After running tests, the memory usage of the console seems to max out at 1.8GB so there's plenty of ram to be using (64 bit windows 7). CPU doesn't go above 30% so I'm thinking that it's probably not a hardware limitation.

Any ideas and suggestions please as to the best way to go about this?

Many thanks

Stu

• Re: LEM Console or Web Portal?
          curtisi

My thought is that the console isn't really meant to be a full-time monitoring solution.  It's useful if you become aware of something going on in the network (a rule has sent you 14 e-mails that someone is trying to log in as an administrator to various systems, so you open the console to watch in real-time as a troubleshooting/diagnosis step), but you can use the nDepth searches to look for historical data that occurs when the console is closed and/or you're not watching it and the Reports Console to get swaths of data in a pretty format for a given time-range.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              stuart.nathaniel@communisis.com

Thanks curtisi for the prompt and helpful response.. That's a bit of a shame. So effectively you're not meant to use the console unless there's an issue you've been made aware of by the rules firing? So you have to use ndepth for the overview reports really rather than looking at the widgets as a brief high level overview of alerts you've set up?

curtisi

The reports and nDepth will give you the whole history, that's true.  The OpsCenter and Monitor sections are good for a high-level over-view, but it's not really intended to be watched 24/7.  Most filters and widgets are only tracking the last 1000 matching events for that filter or widget anyway, so if you're getting more than that in a session, data is rolling off the end of the console anyway.

evanr

Interesting.  In addition to our reports/saved nDepth searches.  I'm on the web portal all day every day.  Maybe I'm a paranoid but I like to see whats going on in real time.  The web portal definitely seems snappier than the console for sure. 

garrethcoleman

Hi Stu,

I would try using a web browser with the console open and soak test this way. I suspect the RDP session does not play well with the Adobe AIR console. It might behave better with the browser as it uses Adobe Flash. I have seen this before with software which does not draw correctly in an RDP session, but works flawlessly on the same machine directly at the console.

@curtisi - Think of using the Ops Center as a NOC does where they have a wallboard for their Orion NPM charts and maps on show for real-time awareness of the network at a glance. The widgets are useful to overlook spikes in events at a glance and by setting the scope to the past 1 day, this is how it is achieved in LEM. It would be of benefit for SW to test this in their labs to confirm if using the LEM Console is presently not supported in an RDP session over prolonged period of time (or at least when a disconnect+reconnect of a session has commenced).

Well defined filters and widgets (derived from those filters) won't reach the 1,000 event limit. Also, with such widgets as Events Per Minute, this will plot the metrics for the scope of the widget and the fact that the events in the filter will have rolled over is not relevant (providing the console is not closed and opened).

-Garreth

1 of 1 people found this helpful