This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to represent a universal device poller with 2 states in NPM?

Hi,

I have set a UnDP that gets the state of a contact closure in my device (Asentria siteboss 550-6). There's just 2 states: open or closed. My question is: is there a way to see graphically the state of my UnDP, I mean we can use charts and gauges if there are numerical values, but in this case what id the appropriate way to do it? You know monitoring is all about colors and indicators...

Also, I would like to be able to put my UnDP in NPM Atlas, but it shows me that there's no metrics assigned to my UnDP, so I can't set thresholds to update its status in the map I mean (critical, warning...).

can anybody help me with this?

thanks.

• Hi,

if you would like to show it on the map you can go to Settings - Custom Poller Thresholds.

- On the left side select the poller

- On right side select Text or Number according to what device retun - this influence possible compare operations.

- You can check returned values in Universal Device Poller application. (In ALL NODES section you can click + and dig deeper to Pollers. When you click on poller on the node it will show polled values in table on right side.)

The device may return numbers 0 (closed) and 1 (opened) or just string like "opened" and "closed".

- Set the threshold for bad situation according to your request and text/number variations.

- When the condition is not valid the UnDP will remain green - good situation.

Then you can open Network Atlas and add UnDP to map.

After saving the map you can add this map into Map resource in Orion.

Roman

• Roman.tatar thank you so much, it is just what I was looking for emoticons_grin.png.

• another question please, how can I assign polling childs to a custom poller ?

• Hi,

what do you mean by assigning polling childs to a custom poller?

- Can you explain what would you like to achieve?

Roman

• Hi, sorry I wasn't clear in my last replay. What I meant was to group multiple custom pollers under one poller, I did tinker with this using grouping like in the image below. Thanks.

Sans titre.png

• Ok, now I understeand.

UnDPs don't have any hierarchical structure. Each UnDP is simple poller for one OID.

- Good solution is to put them into Groups as you already find out.

- You can also use groups in Univesal Device Poller application to organize UnDPs. (Right click on the UnDP - Edit - See Group in the bottom - Type group name as you like)

There is currently developed feature called Device Studio (Settings - Manage Poller), which will in future allows to create complex pollers for multiple OIDs also with logic, conditions and functions.

- Currently(NPM 10.7) you can create only CPU and Memory pollers. In future is planed that there will be more technologies.

Roman