This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

LEM - MS SQL Auditor

FormerMember
FormerMember

Hi All,

I am due to install MS SQL auditor for LEM and use it to monitor changes to tables and schemas and wondered if anyone else has had any experiences with this agent? I am also wondering if there are any known limitations for the auditor and if it has to be installed on the SQL server, or if it can be deployed elsewhere and connect remotely, plus what the best practice is.

Also if anyone knows of the performance implications of running this agent so I can take into account any hit on resources from using it.

-Garreth

• We have this installed and running in our SQL clustered environment.  We have the plugin installed directly on our SQL servers.  However you should be able to deploy it to a specific machine then plug in your server/instances to audit.  This is all done through the MSSQL Auditor config program.  As far as best practice goes we just followed the admin guide.  So far the overhead has been minimal.  It can generate quite a bit of traffic.  Also depending on how much data is going through your database the logs can get very beefy as well.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to evanr

Hi Evan,

Do your logs rotate after a retention period? I will have a review of the admin guide regarding deployment. Thanks for your prompt response.    

• Sorry I should have been more specific.  I was referring to the profiler logs on the actual box the agent is installed on.  These can grow fast.