5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2014 9:25 AM by mharvey

Connect Now discovery and etherchannels

ctrader

I'm trying to get an etherchannel to show up on my map in Network Atlas.  I am monitoring both the etherchannel and the interfaces that make up the etherchannel.  If I can't get the etherchannel to appear, then I would like to be able to have the individual links show up on the map instead.  My topology is a stack of 3 2960S, with 2 connections per switch, going to our 3750X.  So I have an etherchannel consisting of 6 interfaces between the 2960S stack and the 3750X.  I'm putting this in the NPM forum, because I don't see the L2 topology showing up under the "Network" tab of either of the switches.  I am running NPM 10.7 currently.

• Re: Connect Now discovery and etherchannels
          mharvey

If you do a list resources, do you have topology as an option, and is it selected?  If it's not, put a check in there, if it's not there, then the device doesn't support the MIBs SolarWinds uses for topology data.  A way to check this, would be to RDP to your polling server, and in the install directory run the PollerChecker.exe tool.  With this tool, you can select the device, and see if it supports the topology polling that Orion does. 

regards,

Matthew Harvey

ctrader

Matt,

Here's what I'm seeing when I run the PollerChecker.exe tool.  It looks like it should work, but I'm not familiar with this tool.

poller.PNG

Thanks,

Casey

mharvey

So it's supporting layer 3, but not layer 2.  I'm thinking, because of this, the topology mapping can't complete, which is why you aren't seeing anything on the view, or with ConnectNow.  I know that with 10.7 there were supposed to be changes to layer 3 topology, but I believe the connectnow still relies on layer 2, which this doesn't look like it supports.

ctrader

What's weird is that the 3750X connects to a 3945 router, and that connection gets mapped with ConnectNow.  I ran the PollerChecker tool on the 3750X, 3945, and the 2960S and they all show the same L3 only capabilities.  However, when I look in Solarwinds at the 3750X I see the following:

Capture.PNG

It looks like it is mapping the connections via Layer 2, but the PollerChecker.exe tool is showing something different.