9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2014 3:55 PM by todd73nj

FTP Voyager Hangs after completion of last folder

todd73nj

Trying to use the FTP Voyager as a backup utility for my dedicated server.

Runs flawlessly until it hits the last folder. Thought for a while it was hanging in the middle of the backup, but created a empty folder after the last folder it had been backing up - and it hung on that folder.

It reaches the point where it should just disconnect from the remote server, with a complete back up. But it does not disconnect and repeating a KEEP ALIVE line.

Any suggestions on how to get it to disconnect and complete the job?

• Re: FTP Voyager Hangs after completion of last folder
          dbladorn

Can you make sure the last folder that is processed has something in it?  If this configuration solves your problem, please open a bug report with SolarWinds so they can track it.

todd73nj

Originally the last folder had something in it - and thats when it was hanging.

But the new created folder as a test was empty - and it also caused it to stay connected and not finish the backup.

Any other suggestions?

dbladorn

Does the log show any useful information on what could be causing this?  Double-click the task that's hanging around and then click on the "Log Settings" tab.  Set it up to log to a file - or - click the "View Log" button.  This may help you determine why the task is failing to disconnect from the server.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      todd73nj

Rerunning it now with those setting and will post up some results that might enable someone to understand why its not disconnecting!  Thanks for your help so far!

todd73nj

Ok here it is.. got to the last file again - which had files in the folder - seemed like it was done - and hung!

a0XVRIm.png

dbladorn

I'm not sure why those "Keep Alives" would be triggered after the "Disconnect" call.  Try this to see what happens, inside FTP Voyager (not scheduler), click on "Tools | Scheduler Site Profiles".  Select the site that matches your job that hangs and then select "Advanced Options".  Select "Connection" and then scroll-down to "Keep Alive" (see screenshot below).

Change "Use Global Settings" to "No" and change "Keep Alive" to "Disabled".  Save the settings and then reattempt your scheduler task and compare the logs.

KeepAlive.png

todd73nj

That was actually one of the first things I thought of and changed that setting in both the FTP Voyager profile, as well as the Site Scheduler profile in FTP Voyager. It didn't seem to do anything. I don't understand what is causing this to hang and start these keep alive requests, but basically, the task is always showing executing, and looking at the logs, it just continues to process those keep alive's until I manually cancel the task.

If I don't cancel, it wont run the next schedule

Oddly enough, this was working seamlessly for months . I switched to a new server, only had to change my connection password because the domain and file structure were identical, and this started happening.

As a side note, which is also puzzling. If I run the task for one vhost inside the main vhosts folder , it will complete. When I run it for the whole vhosts folder, it hangs. I made sure there was a test.txt file inside the vhosts folder just in case it needed an extra file to finish up with, that didn't help either